[Gameplay] Main quest progress lost

zorm05

Green Slime
Frontline 0.660a

I created a new game yesterday and I played 4-5 hours straight and reached Mt. Bloom, unlocked the teleport pad, save and quit. I was at 50% progress.

Today, I opened the game and my save file says 24% progress and when I launched it, I started from the beginning but had all my levels, items, skill points and side quest progress untouched. So only the main quest progress and the map (discovery and teleportation) was reset.

Dardrol

Green Slime
I just experienced the very same thing... Thinking about trying to get a refund... Not pleased at all and I feel like I'm tricking people into buying the game when I have been praising it so hard.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Do you have any world (.wld) files in your character's backup folder? (found in %APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea)

Also, @Dardrol, did your bug happen exactly as it did for zorm05? That is, playing straight to Mt. Bloom and then quitting.

Did you play single player or multiplayer?

Dardrol

Green Slime
Not sure about the files. (Will check tomorrow)
In fact I did rush it through... barely did any side quest up until Mount Bloom. I did all of the side quests in there and progresd all the way till the end of the version. And then quit for the night :) (damn phase area took a while XD)
I played on Single Player.

zorm05

Green Slime
I do have backup files in my character backup folder. 001h.cha 001h.wld to 004h and auto0.cha auto0.wld to auto4 files. I was playing solo. Do you want me to post a zip of the files?

Dardrol

Green Slime
Hmm... that would be king of awesome of you if you did. O.O save me many hours of boredom XD (awesome stort but its my 4th playthrough so...)

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Very weird bug (it's going to be a pain to test!)

Do you want me to post a zip of the files?

Yeah, post a zip with the latest .cha and .wld files (sort the folder by date to find it easily)! Also, to maybe restore your quest progress, try copying one of the .wld files and placing it in your "Worlds" folder, renaming it to the correct save slot (0.wld if you played on your first slot)

@Dardrol did you find the backup folder?

Dardrol

Green Slime
Very weird bug (it's going to be a pain to test!)

Yeah, post a zip with the latest .cha and .wld files (sort the folder by date to find it easily)! Also, to maybe restore your quest progress, try copying one of the .wld files and placing it in your "Worlds" folder, renaming it to the correct save slot (0.wld if you played on your first slot)

@Dardrol did you find the backup folder?

Found the folder in %APPDATA%.
In the World and Character folder I got these:
Got 3 .wld-files. 0, 1 and 100.
Got 2 CHA-files. 0 and 1.

In the Backup folder I got:
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 files of both .wld and .cha.

zorm05

Green Slime
Here. I upload most recent backup cha and wld files and my slot2 cha and wld files as well (may be the same idk)

Attachments

• sog_files.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 1

zorm05

Green Slime
I tried to replace the slot2 wld file (which is the bottom left slot of the 9 if im correct) with any wld file from the backup but it didn't change anything. When I load the game, I start at my home starting the first quest again and again.

Edit: Replaying on this save file, it says that I have already the quest reward on completion. I saved and I can quit and reload the game as intended now.

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
In the Backup folder I got:
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 files of both .wld and .cha.

If you replace your world save file with one of the backups, can you regain progress or do you start from the beginning again?

I forgot to mention this, but you might need to disable Steam Cloud for the game (done by going into the game's preferences in your Steam library), or replace the file while the game is running! Otherwise you run the risk of Steam trying to "help you out" by downloading the old files.

Here. I upload most recent backup cha and wld files and my slot2 cha and wld files as well (may be the same idk)

Thanks, I'll have a look at them!

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I'll just pop this in - when restoring backups, the file name is one number lower than the position of your save, so files named 0 correspond to the first slot, and files named 8 correspond to the last slot. They're counted down then across as well, so the save in the top right is 7th and therefore has file names of 6.

If you need anymore help, there's a link to a video in the spoiler below which goes through the process in detail.

res7less

Jumpkin
By the way, I was having trouble with the fourth character slot for a while now but I kind of remember having read something about that. I had deleted all the save slots and backups for slot 04 (named 3 as they start with 0) but still, whenever I make a new game on character slot 4, it doesn't get saved - I lose that progress every time. I sometimes use it just for testing purposes, so no big deal in losing data, but I still wonder why this is the only slot that happens with.

Dardrol

Green Slime
If you replace your world save file with one of the backups, can you regain progress or do you start from the beginning again?

I forgot to mention this, but you might need to disable Steam Cloud for the game (done by going into the game's preferences in your Steam library), or replace the file while the game is running! Otherwise you run the risk of Steam trying to "help you out" by downloading the old files.

Thanks, I'll have a look at them!

Things just got complicated... I think I just wait for a patch or something... There's other games in the world. Not as good as this one but still worth playing :)

zorm05

Green Slime
Yay, I disable Steam Cloud Sync and I restore my progress with backup :)

@The G-Meister Nice stupid proof tutorial :)

EDIT: @res7less It happened to me as well. I created a new game on this slot (top middle one) and I could play and save but it disappeared after I closed and reloaded the game.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
By the way, I was having trouble with the fourth character slot for a while now but I kind of remember having read something about that.

Interesting! So it's 100 % reproducible for you? If so, perhaps it will be easier to track down this bug than I feared :D

Do you have Steam Cloud Sync activated for the game? What happens if you deactivate it?

res7less

Jumpkin
Hm, interesting. When I turned it off, I didn't lose any progress after creating a character. However, when I turned it on again, the slot was empty - after creating a new character and playing until level 2, quitting, restarting the world was reset again (level and skill remained). I'll try to check if there is a way to force Steam to upload after re-enabling synch instead of overwriting local data with cloud files. Also, synching seems to work fine with all other slots (yes, they all have a character :p)

zorm05

Green Slime
Same here. Without Steam Cloud I don't have any issues. I can save and quit, restart the game and continue the progress normally. Once Steam Cloud is back on, my just created game disappeared. I decided to create another new game on the 4th slot. Played a bit, save and quit. Restart the game and the 4th slot was empty.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Yet when I try changing all this stuff with cloud sync and switching between launching with the Steam shortcut and .exe files, I'm not getting this issue at all. I've had it in the past with some slots, but the issue tended to resolve itself after a month or so.

res7less

Jumpkin
Okay, looks like I solved it thanks to Teddy's suspicion it could have something to do with Steam Cloud Sync. After some searching it appears information about things to be stored on the Cloud is saved in Steam\userdata\[Steam Account ID]\269770\remotecache.vdf For some reason, there was a mistake in the file - while all the world and character files had

"syncstate" "1"
"persiststate" "0"
"platformstosync2" "1"

the stats of worlds/3.wld were

"syncstate" "1"
"persiststate" "1"
"platformstosync2" "1"

What I did was closing Steam, deleting the remotecache.vdf, launching Steam again so it could download the file again (which now had completly different stats) and then set the stats of world 3 to

"syncstate" "1"
"persiststate" "0"
"platformstosync2" "1"

Of course I backed up all the savedgames before all that just in case. But afterwards everything worked fine, even with Steam Cloud Sync on.