[Gameplay] Main quest progress lost

res7less

Jumpkin
Thanks :D Although it's still a mystery why it's just world 3 that has it (at least it was my world 3). Character 3, as well as all other worlds and characters were/are working just fine.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I think it's a Steam issue at this point :p I've had it with slots 4, 6 and 8 at various points in the past so far. The funny thing is, it has happened with both .cha and .wld files. One person managed to start a new game in the Flying Fortress which was kinda funny.

zorm05

Green Slime
Okay, looks like I solved it thanks to Teddy's suspicion it could have something to do with Steam Cloud Sync. After some searching it appears information about things to be stored on the Cloud is saved in Steam\userdata\[Steam Account ID]\269770\remotecache.vdf For some reason, there was a mistake in the file - while all the world and character files had

"syncstate" "1"
"persiststate" "0"
"platformstosync2" "1"

the stats of worlds/3.wld were

"syncstate" "1"
"persiststate" "1"
"platformstosync2" "1"

What I did was closing Steam, deleting the remotecache.vdf, launching Steam again so it could download the file again (which now had completly different stats) and then set the stats of world 3 to

"syncstate" "1"
"persiststate" "0"
"platformstosync2" "1"

Of course I backed up all the savedgames before all that just in case. But afterwards everything worked fine, even with Steam Cloud Sync on.

Nice find! It worked for me! I closed steam, deleted the remotecache file, lauched steam and the game. Created a New Game on slot4 save and quit. Restarted the game and my save file is there! (with Steam Cloud activated which didnt work before for that slot). Thanks!

res7less

Jumpkin
So you didn't even need to change the variables? Deleting the remotecache file was enough? Because that would be even easier for people to do, who have the same problem.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
That's a great find, @res7less! I'll have to post this on the Steam dev forums to see if someone else has run into this issue, and if we can do something to mitigate it. If no better way exists, perhaps the game can scan the remotecache file for that specific state and show a warning to the user!

Hopefully I can now simulate this issue by editing the remotecache file to show the wrong state.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
By the way, how many files do you guys have in your Characters and Worlds folders?

res7less

Jumpkin
Those are mine:

character_files.PNG world_files.PNG

There are a couple of badloads but they seem to be from february. I had deleted world 3 badloads before experimenting with the remotecache files. I still have them in my backup if you need them, though.

Edit: Although, the problems all were with the fourth slot, which is not equivalent to world 4 I assume? Ugh, arrays are confusing - why do they have to start with 0? :D

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Hey, I have a 100 and two 1337s too. I might load them up and see what they do.

[Edit]: doesn't look like they do anything fancy, but they may be the last files loaded in the stable version if people ever want to return to it, which is a nice feature :D

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Alright, thanks!

I just wanted to make sure there weren't like a billion files in there, overloading the cloud save or something. The max number of files are 1000, I think.

Then again, even if someone reaches the max limit, the Cloud probably isn't supposed to nuke certain files on sight... :D