[Gameplay]Multiplayer Networking Issues Multi-source players

tek2974

Green Slime
I had posted in Co-op/multiplayer so here it is:

Found an interesting/annoying bug tonight. Playing on my LAN with 2 friends worked fine. Playing over the internet with a friend in the neighboring town worked fine. When playing with my friend over steam/ip(tried both) and a second person on my LAN joins, it lags the server immensely until one person on the lan drops. We've now replicated this on different machines, all with steam versions of the game(frontline Beta 602a).

All routers are set up correctly.
Connections on both ends are 60/5 mbps
All computers are on the high end.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I had posted in Co-op/multiplayer so here it is:

Found an interesting/annoying bug tonight. Playing on my LAN with 2 friends worked fine. Playing over the internet with a friend in the neighboring town worked fine. When playing with my friend over steam/ip(tried both) and a second person on my LAN joins, it lags the server immensely until one person on the lan drops. We've now replicated this on different machines, all with steam versions of the game(frontline Beta 602a).

All routers are set up correctly.
Connections on both ends are 60/5 mbps
All computers are on the high end.

Interesting! In what way does the server start to lag? As in frame drops, or that the clients lag around for the server?

tek2974

Green Slime
Server and client network lag, it not only affects SoG, but everything. My TS server (dedicated on a farm not on any used port) will skyrocket from 20ms into the thousands, once one client disconnects from the LAN that has 2 clients on everything returns to normal.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Server and client network lag, it not only affects SoG, but everything. My TS server (dedicated on a farm not on any used port) will skyrocket from 20ms into the thousands, once one client disconnects from the LAN that has 2 clients on everything returns to normal.

That is remarkably weird! Especially the fact that you experience the problem both via IP and Steam.

With the Steam network connection enabled, all traffic goes through their end, while the IP networking uses a completely different library (Lidgren). I somehow doubt that both of these would have the exact same connectivity bug, which almost makes me wonder if there might be some glitch with one of the skills or something, overloading the network with a billion updates for example...

Do you experience the immense lag regardless of what you're doing? That is, does it happen in the main menu lobby? Does it happen in Arcadia, or in Startington with a freshly started game?

tek2974

Green Slime
We were by the turkey house above Santa. That's where it is the worst. Santa fe is bad but playable, the season dungeon crashes one person on the network with two people. All 3 of is are using laser swords and one is using a summon. We'll try with a fresh game tonight when we get home from work.

tek2974

Green Slime
Ok, so we all started new characters and it was fine, so we hopped back to our other characters that were having the problems. Those are now ok too, HOWEVER, the only thing that changed was the fact that the guy on the other network just got niniva to follow him around, while last night when we were having the problem the two of us on the same network had her and he did not have that quest yet.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Ok, so we all started new characters and it was fine, so we hopped back to our other characters that were having the problems. Those are now ok too, HOWEVER, the only thing that changed was the fact that the guy on the other network just got niniva to follow him around, while last night when we were having the problem the two of us on the same network had her and he did not have that quest yet.

Well, that's weird in its own right! Naniva should follow based on the progress of the server, so that should happen regardless of where the clients are in their own story world. When (as in where in the story) did your friend who couldn't see Naniva connect?

I guess that desync made the game go haywire with confusion (which it preferably shouldn't do..).