[Gameplay] Not dying on 0 HP

Not sure if this would be a gameplay bug or a text bug, but I was playing multiplayer arcade and I got reduced to 0 HP and didn't die. After one more hit I did eventually die, but apparently taking the exact amount of damage to reduce you to 0 doesn't kill you.

ark626

Did youve had any perks like life additional perks?
If yes which were it?
Were there any life increasing items worn?

Dgikmo

Rabby
I've come across a glitch in Arcade Mode (untested in Story) where you can be alive with 0 hp.

I'm not sure how it occurs, exactly. But once at 0 hp, it takes two more hits to be killed. At first I thought it was an integer rollover such that I was in the negatives and invincible, but sadly this wasn't the case.

From what I can tell, it has to do with being killed in an Arcade Mode room, being respawned at room completion, and then going into the next room quickly and being hit very soon. Other than that, I'm not sure at all how to recreate it.

Attachments

• 2014-04-27_00001.jpg
    2014-04-27_00001.jpg
    747.4 KB · Views: 15

Hobo

Rabby
[Theory] It probably has something to do with float/double rounding, by this I mean you might have had 0.49 health but the GUI would only show you 0 as it's a float/double converted to integer.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I think this is some sort of sync error for clients in multiplayer, actually. It happened to me once but sadly I don't recall the events leading up to it! Could be some edge case not handled properly, like leveling up while dead (just an example of weird case, not what I think it is :p)

Aurophobia

Halloweed
It happened to a friend of mine playing with me.
I believe it's between clients.

He ended up at 0 hp, then finally died 3-4 hits later. On my wife's screen he was still alive, but just standing there, taking more hits and then dying. So I feel like maybe in me hosting it, my game thought he was at a higher hp value? And seems like my wife as well. Idk.

Dgikmo

Rabby
That is true, I'm not sure that it's ever happened to the host in any game I've played in, only clients. I'll blame it on TCP/UDP

ark626

Merged two threads describing a i have 0 hp but im still alive, thread (sounds somehow GLaDoS like ;D)

viRo369

Green Slime
Agree with that Bug:
B0967C4B7B2DD5643B86619AC5C60052557471F2

Own

So, I'm not sure what happened here, but I assume one of the steps here did something to make it happen.

I had 2 HP and an Adventurer's Vest.

I picked up a Pink Shirt, equipped it, still 2 HP.

I went into the next room, the host dies, I get hit. My HP is graphically 0. Room cleared, 0 HP, strange.

We get a Bishop who offers to make enemies deal double damage. Well, he's at 1 HP and I'm at 0 HP, sooo... what's the harm? Accepted.

Next room, I go in and kill everything, my HP jumps to 18. Then a health orb appears on the ground from the Bishop, I jump to 120-160 something HP.

Where did that sudden boost of 18 HP come from, and why wasn't I dead? I'm 90% sure I didn't level up.

upload_2015-4-21_9-12-25.png

ark626

Nah we had this issue before, i think last time it was sth. about the new value of the HP:

Meaning you have normally an amount of total and of left HP
But if you equip certain things OR skill certain talents, this value is increased.

I think the error lies somwhere there again due to the new Talent system

Intresting finding anyway :D

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Were you the client? In rare circumstances the HP can get a bit desynced, probably due to some bug where the messages arrive in slightly different order. Since it's not up to the client if he lives or dies, on your screen you appear to have 0 HP but in reality you probably have a few hitpoints left!

If you are the server, then good sir your survival is a miracle (and a whole new bug)!

HexZyle

Boar
Were you the client? In rare circumstances the HP can get a bit desynced, probably due to some bug where the messages arrive in slightly different order. Since it's not up to the client if he lives or dies, on your screen you appear to have 0 HP but in reality you probably have a few hitpoints left!

If you are the server, then good sir your survival is a miracle (and a whole new bug)!

This was on the client, yes. Also, it was a considerably frequent occurance (although yes, the next hit was death)

:D I kinda expected that he was playing on SP mode, cause i saw no other player Oo :D

So you don't see dead people?