[Gameplay]Simultaneously died just as I had beaten winter

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Yeah, this is actually a kind of bug-fixed-with-bug scenario! :D

There are a bunch of different places where you can die and trigger something at the same time, which can cause a lot of crazy scenarios. In this case, what would've happened is that you'd missed the cutscene! At other times, the screen get stuck with the Game Over fade effect.

To prevent these problems, I made it so that if the player gets revived, the game over cancels. In most cases, this isn't very noticable, but since Winter has a delay before starting the cutscene it can get pretty weird, as you witnessed!

I might go back and do some other workaround, but for now I'll leave it like this only because the bug is so rare.

Veranchyme

Green Slime
I took fatal damage just as I killed winter. The game showed me the game-over screen for a second and then filled me to full health and started the cut-scene.

Encountered the very same bug, except that after my HP refilled to full, there were persistent damage over time effects (Winter's ice spikes) on the ground where my character was standing during the cut-scene, and I continued to take damage while the cut-scene was playing. Rather than risk possibly dying for the umpteenth time, I sped read through the cut-scene. In the small gap just before Winter turns you into a popsicle, the damage over time effects vanished and the game continued normally. This bug was almost panic attack inducing for the following reasons:

1. Bosses on HARD MODE are no joke, unless the devs are just trolling us with the asinine amounts of ridiculousness that are present in literally EVERY boss battle on purpose, in which case......actually, no; it still isn't funny.

2. Because of the insane difficulty of Hard Mode that borders on the realm of stupidity for stupidity's sake, I had probably already squared off with Winter at least 30-50 times. That being the case, being snuffed out by a bug after finally defeating Winter fair and square (playing without cheats) would have surely sent me into a rage fueled, slime and rabby killing spree that likely would have persisted well into the New Year.

At any rate, it appears as though the bug persists, seeing as how at least 2 confirmed cases of it have occurred. Please investigate and fix, this is the kind of thing that can piss people off so much that they quit playing altogether/tell their friends to steer clear. I was lucky in that the bug sort of fixed itself, but I don't know what may have happened it I continued to allow the DoT effect to kill me during the cut-scene, after having my HP refilled once already.

Encountered the very same bug, except that after my HP refilled to full, there were persistent damage over time effects (Winter's ice spikes) on the ground where my character was standing during the cut-scene, and I continued to take damage while the cut-scene was playing. Rather than risk possibly dying for the umpteenth time, I sped read through the cut-scene. In the small gap just before Winter turns you into a popsicle, the damage over time effects vanished and the game continued normally. This bug was almost panic attack inducing for the following reasons:

1. Bosses on HARD MODE are no joke, unless the devs are just trolling us with the asinine amounts of ridiculousness that are present in literally EVERY boss battle on purpose, in which case......actually, no; it still isn't funny.

2. Because of the insane difficulty of Hard Mode that borders on the realm of stupidity for stupidity's sake, I had probably already squared off with Winter at least 30-50 times. That being the case, being snuffed out by a bug after finally defeating Winter fair and square (playing without cheats) would have surely sent me into a rage fueled, slime and rabby killing spree that likely would have persisted well into the New Year.

At any rate, it appears as though the bug persists, seeing as how at least 2 confirmed cases of it have occurred. Please investigate and fix, this is the kind of thing that can piss people off so much that they quit playing altogether/tell their friends to steer clear. I was lucky in that the bug sort of fixed itself, but I don't know what may have happened it I continued to allow the DoT effect to kill me during the cut-scene, after having my HP refilled once already.

Huh, that's kind of weird. In my case when replaying the game on hard mode, I died, but Winter was on fire and burning, and he had a slither of health. I waited at the game over screen for about five seconds, and Winter's health hit 0 from the damage over time effect and then I was just revived with full health even though I had died seconds ago.

I think as long as Winter dies (and perhaps this is true to every boss?), even if you have already gotten a game over, the game will just revive you; just like how you are revived after a boss dies automatically in multiplayer.

I wonder if the same bug happens for every boss, or perhaps it has to do with the cutscene in particular considering you actually take damage in the cutscene. If it's not the cutscene, then technically it should be able to happen with every boss.

Huh, that's kind of weird. In my case when replaying the game on hard mode, I died, but Winter was on fire and burning, and he had a slither of health. I waited at the game over screen for about five seconds, and Winter's health hit 0 from the damage over time effect and then I was just revived with full health even though I had died seconds ago.

I think as long as Winter dies (and perhaps this is true to every boss?), even if you have already gotten a game over, the game will just revive you; just like how you are revived after a boss dies automatically in multiplayer.

I wonder if the same bug happens for every boss, or perhaps it has to do with the cutscene in particular considering you actually take damage in the cutscene. If it's not the cutscene, then technically it should be able to happen with every boss.

This doesn't seem to happen with every boss (which is probably a good thing). I encountered something similar to you, where I took out winter's HP, got a fatal blow, waited for a few seconds, and then got revived and got the cut scene. After I saw that I was like, "Oh...maybe this could work with other scenarios." So I tried it with Mimic... Nah! LOL! I'm guessing Winter is a special case for...whatever reasons. Most bosses seem to die on the fatal blow, making the bug "impossible." Special bosses like GUN-D4M and Ancient Mimic require the player to survive a "desperation attack" before winning, so the bug doesn't seem to appear there. I think the reason it happens with winter is that his attack cannot be interrupted, even if he's killed during the attack. But like Teddy said, it makes this a bug-fix-bug scenario. lol.