[Gameplay] World/Quest Progress Lost (Character remains)

Eiroth

Rabby
I had just beaten Winter and quit the game but I accidentally forced the computer to shut down whilst steam was still running. When I loaded the game up again all quests and the map had been reset, but I had all items, levels, cards etc. I'm guessing this means I can get two Amalets and two Gaa'ntlets.

Edit: I just noticed that I can't get an infinite amount of talent points, so that's good... Also, my characters a girl, but bag said I was a boy.

Last edited:

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
At least I can defeat bosses in record time...
Hmm.. It seems like your World save file got reset which isn't a big deal since it won't affect your character data at all. Last time someone said the game told them they were a boy but they said they picked to be a girl it turned out that they indeed picked a male character but had a hairstyle that looked feminine so... My guess is that the game is right. ;)

I also changed the title to be more fitting. I'll let @Teddy decide if this is a bug with the backup system or if it's working as intended. He will also know if you can restore your save file. :)

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
When you forced the shutdown, the game either didn't save or was interrupted during saving, resulting in save file corruption. If the file was corrupted, it might got restored from Steam Cloud from some old backup.

GarlicJelly

When you forced the shutdown, the game either didn't save or was interrupted during saving, resulting in save file corruption. If the file was corrupted, it might got restored from Steam Cloud from some old backup.
True, but the backup should have saved something more recent if he had already beaten Winter. Even if you played through the whole game in one sitting you shouldn't have to start all over in the beginning if the game crashes. That would make the whole point of having a backup useless. :p

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
But I was talking about Steam Cloud. He could use game's backup to get back to closer point, however the system could automatically load backup from cloud, which might be created after game closes or whatever. So it could load the state game was before playing or some earlier point.

GarlicJelly

But I was talking about Steam Cloud. He could use game's backup to get back to closer point, however the system could automatically load backup from cloud, which might be created after game closes or whatever. So it could load the state game was before playing or some earlier point.
Oooh, my bad. I didn't connect the dots when you said Steam Cloud. XD
Yeah, that might have been what happened and the "real" backup files could still be stored on his/her harddrive.

Death Of Time

Green Slime
I was hosting a multiplayer session over LAN using ip. The other players game got extremely choppy while we were in the floating fortress fighting of enemies. We were fighting in the room before the perfect block lock. We had already defeated the fortress. The other player died multiple times and we were traveling between the enemy room and the block lock room to revive them and to take breaks. About five minutes after they reported the game being really choppy it crashed.

They reloaded the save in single player to find that there progress had been completely reset. They had also lost all the character progress they had made in the enemy room. We didn't know the game wasn't saving. When we had started up the game we had already progressed to the flying fortress. We just hadn't entered the area yet.

This was on patch 0.610 on the current stable branch.

Edit:
I restored the quest progress by overwriting his world file with my copy. Now we just need to get the items progress back from that room.

Last edited:

Xetro

Green Slime
I had previously saved at Santa fae to log off for the night. To my surprise, when I logged back in, I was back
in startington with all my quests reset. All my items are still intact and levels too, just quests had reset. I haven't progressed any further as it could ensure further bugs having duplicate cards. I'm just wondering if there is any way to roll back these events, as I'm not wanting to restart the quest line again, (as good a game as this is). I hope you understand my problems and can find a solution for this. -Xetro

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I think I managed to get something like this a while back. I tried to duplicate one of my saves, but I think I only moved half of the files. Your .wld (world) file might've been corrupted.

Duplicate cards aren't a problem. Sometimes in Arcade mode you can get two of the same card with a bit of luck by killing two enemies in quick succession. They operate as if you've only gotten one.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Aha! Whether this is the same issue or not, I've been having an issue with any character in slot 6 (bottom of the middle section.) Every time I go back onto that character's file, it always resets my progress back to the first cutscene in Startington. Had it happen with two characters there now.

Whig

Green Slime
I've had this issue!

Only on multiplayer.
Occasionally if one of us hosts a game one time, then the other person hosts it the next time, both of our maps and quests are totally reset. Like, we have to get our shield and sword again.

We've figured out that if the original host hosts again, then both the host and the second person's map/quests etc. are restored.

I'm not sure what causes it. Possibly a bad connection while logging? Our internet connection isn't the best so that could be a factor.

It certainly seems like the second person's world file gets corrupted somehow. Anyway hope this helps someone!

Own

This isn't actually a bug. World progress only saves for the host. Otherwise you could make a new character, join player 1 in the middle of them doing the second temple, then go back to your own save and continue from there having missed the first temple.

Whig

Green Slime
Respectfully, I think it is a bug. Previous world progress vanishes for both parties. Progress gained in single player before the multiplayer session vanishes, not just whatever progress was gained in the multiplayer session.