Hello people of the world

csmallfield

Green Slime
Hi my name is Chris, an American living in Berlin, 3D VFX artist, doodler, canoodler and poodler?

I'm interested in game development and love the transparency of the pixel ferrets.

so, hi!

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Yes, I've been working on VFX for commercials and movies for the last 12 years or so.
Oh, advertising, that's interesting. What would you say it's like as an industry to work in? Seems like the pay would be quite variable. I guess if you're doing movies as well it would be a little more stable :p

csmallfield

Green Slime
Starting out in commercials, especially as a freelancer is a little unstable, but once you have worked for 3-4 different studios (and done a decent job) it's quite easy to work consistently. Some studios want to employ you, and then it's like any other job with a steady paycheck. Movies are stable for the length of the movie production, which can be 5 months to 2-3 years, but the likelihood of having to get another job somewhere else after the movie is finished is higher. The pay is usually proportional to the length of the project or contract, lower for longer. If you have a unique specialty however you can charge a lot more, but may get less jobs overall since there isn#t a constant need maybe.

Commercials are fun because you get to try a lot more things and the jobs are not such a long commitment. You learn a lot and learn to be fast. Movies you get to learn less aspects, but much deeper, which is sometimes cool and sometimes a bit boring.

Overall I like both, for different reasons. The hours are better in movies though. I've got a month and a half left on my current movie contract and I have really enjoyed not working overhours and weekends for the last year. After taking some time off, I'll probably aim to do another movie project if possible.

Probably more information than you wanted ;)

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Nah, you haven't seen too much information :p Just go look at some of my suggestions posts or the "How to Use the Forums" article :chicken:

I guess with any job, the greater your speciality the less places you're needed, but the pay is often higher. I'm looking at going somewhere into the scientific research industry, and with a Masters in any science the pay can start pretty high for a first full time job, as well as hiving the experience of doing a full research project (as is required for a masters degree).

Any variation is good as well though, as it means you don't get bored of making movies or commercials :p