How to switch between Stable and Frontline, and why

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Bugs in stable are already fixed in frontline. You play stable only if you don't want to take part in beta.
Yeah, Stable is pretty much just for people that don't like finding bugs. So for a youtuber doing a video where he/she doesn't want any bugs ruining the game for him/her, she/he would stay on Stable to avoid having the game crash and stuff like that. The game has gotten pretty far in the development as far as basics are concerned so crashes are not as common as they used to be. To be honest I don't see a reason to stay on Stable unless you're really lazy and don't feel like changing.

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Ironically, after sub patches (coco, echo, etc), the Frontline is probably more stable than Stable :D

Next time we get to Stable (which should be only a few patches away), I'll properly branch the project, allowing me to patch them separately and continue fixing bugs in Stable (and Frontline) while working on more content!

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
when i hover over the drop down arrow in the betas tab nothing happens and i can't click it

Sounds like a Steam issue! Try restarting Steam and then make sure you're in the Secrets of Grindea properties when trying to select beta.

Ultoriel

Green Slime
Is there anywhere that lists the differences between Frontline and Stable? I've been looking around both in-game and around the forums and website and haven't seen anything. Am I missing something obvious? I'm questioning whether or not it actually is changing when I tell it to.

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
One way to check if you're on the Frontline version is to see if it says [frontline] next to the game title in your Steam library list (at least, that's what it looks like over here)!

Right now Stable and Frontline use the same build, and will continue to do so for the 1-2 patches until we've finalized a few more things - so there isn't really a way to check in-game currently (Teddy will correct me if I'm wrong)

GarlicJelly

One way to check if you're on the Frontline version is to see if it says [frontline] next to the game title in your Steam library list (at least, that's what it looks like over here)!

Right now Stable and Frontline use the same build, and will continue to do so for the 1-2 patches until we've finalized a few more things - so there isn't really a way to check in-game currently (Teddy will correct me if I'm wrong)
You can see your current version of the game in the top left corner of the main menu I believe. :p

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
You can see your current version of the game in the top left corner of the main menu I believe. :p
Yes, but since both Stable and Frontline uses the same version (currently) it'll be the same regardless of which one you're on :)

GarlicJelly

Yes, but since both Stable and Frontline uses the same version (currently) it'll be the same regardless of which one you're on :)
Does the same apply to the info screen you open by pressing F1 in the menu?

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
Yep! Teddy just confirmed to me that they currenly use the same build, so they are 100% the same once you start the game!

HexZyle

Boar
For those who want to have both a Frontline and a Stable install, I found a guide on how to do so with SteamCMD.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=388264242&insideModal=1
Note that this guide refers to Insurgency, so you'll need to change the line in "ins_beta.txt" (sog_beta.txt if you want to call it that instead)
Code:
app_update 222880 -beta beta validate
Change it to
Code:
app_update 269770 -beta frontline validate

To be honest though, I can get the stable version of the game to download using this method, but not the frontline version. So I use my default install as frontline, and this as the stable install

Last edited:

LogNeko

Green Slime
I love the New update i have waited for it so i can farm and mabye get more of my friends buy this game its super :D.

btw i love the updates you make c:

Jakesaur

Green Slime
Excuse me for saying this, because I'm probably getting this wrong, but I can't switch between stable and frontline on steam, it only says "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs", and I can't click it to make it drop down. Is there a beta code or some kind of file that I'm missing? The game is currently downloaded and it has the latest (I think) Stable patch at "v0.610apple)

Jakesaur

Green Slime
Excuse me for saying this, because I'm probably getting this wrong, but I can't switch between stable and frontline on steam, it only says "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs", and I can't click it to make it drop down. Is there a beta code or some kind of file that I'm missing? The game is currently downloaded and it has the latest (I think) Stable patch at "v0.610apple)
Sorry, never mind, I completely restarted steam and it's all good now.

Ahdok

Green Slime
Nice. I guess I shall update my single player character to Frontline, and keep my multiplayer stable character for playing the stable version (because finding bugs in stable is pretty important...)

Echo

Green Slime
I got Secrets of Grindea as a gift (no idea if I have/had a code to add to Steam). I added it as a non-game to steam, so I don't have any tabs other than the default one. Any way I can add it so Steam as a game without buying it (I'm poor), or change it to frontline withOUT Steam?