Is there any way to play this on a LAN?

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Read this guide for instructions about how to set up Hamachi. :p

Using Hamachi
If you don't get port forwarding to work or you're still unsure of how to do it, you can always use Hamachi.

Also, I don't think LAN is working for multiplayer yet.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I'll just quote myself from the other thread!

LAN as in two computers on the same network? In that case, you should be able to open up the command line (press windows key and type cmd), type "ipconfig", and then look at "IPv4 Address".

Connect to the IP you see there from your other computer, and it should work on most networks!

terry davids

Green Slime
Both computers are on wifi and they both show the same IP address. When i go to IP config it shows a completely different IPv4 than the game shows as my IP. I have never had this much trouble playing a game online or LAN especially. I ended up being able to port forward also but nothing works. Hamachi shows each computer online on that computer but shows the other ones as not connected.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Hmm, I've never had trouble getting Hamachi to work which is why it's my safe bet for fixing multiplayer problems. :S Have you tried the IP that CMD shows you instead of the one that your game shows you? (Maybe a stupied question but better safe than sorry. :p) Also if you have Hamachi installed it might confuse you with the IP adress in CMD so make sure you scroll all the way up and then back down. The first IPv4 is the one you're looking for since if Hamachi is installed it will show up under your "real" IPv4.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Just so someone reading this won't be confused: the IPv4 found in "ipconfig" is your computer's local IP on the LAN. It is assigned to you by your router, and is what you use when you port forward (you must usually tell your router which computer to send data to) or want to connect via LAN.

It is not the same thing as your Internet IP, which is the address to your router from outside! Basically, when a computer from outside your LAN wants to connect to you, they need the IP assigned by your ISP (which is the one shown in game). That IP brings them to your router, which then looks at the port forwarding table to know which computer to send information to (using the IPv4 found in 'ipconfig')!

For LAN play, you should always use the IPv4 address directly since this removes the need for port forwarding entirely.