It seems that SoG can run almost perfectly on Linux out of the box now!

TsReaper

Boar
I've just picked up Steam proton today, which is a tool for use with the Steam client that allows games exclusive to Windows to run on the Linux operating system. It's shipped with the Steam Linux client by default.

Valve has tested this tool among many popular games (including games such as DarkSouls III) and has a whitelist for these games. But actually one can use proton for any other games on steam, just go into the steam settings - steam play and check "enable steam play for all other titles".

I tested this tool on SoG for a few moments and it seems that it can run almost perfectly. I say "almost" because sometimes the background music won't play when entering some areas. Except for this the gaming experience is almost identical to Windows!

It's really a great news for both the developers and the players, as we can now play games on Linux without extra compatability supports. Even games like Sekiro can run on Linux day 1 (although the performance is not as good as Windows. I'm looking for the solutions to this.)

There is also a website called protondb, on which users can report the compatibility of the games with proton.

2019-05-22-040012_1246x764_scrot.jpg
2019-05-22-041021_1246x764_scrot.jpg

Last edited: