List of Puns, Jokes, References, Sarcasm [and Multiple-Reference-Puns]

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
This will be a list of above listed things.

Why?
Because they're are hard and sometime impossible to translate and can be discussed here.
Because you might have missed the joke.
Because maybe, just maybe, you didn't understood that reference or didn't understand that this was sarcasm.

"But that was obvious. Everyone knows that Shakespear quote. This list is so redundant!"
Ok, the Shakespear one is a given, but this is not just about pointing them out, but also giving a small explanation. I mean was that really some unfriendly dude or he's just playing hard and is actually nice.
Not everyone here has played all the games and seen all the Films/Anime or seen all teh internetz. Making an idiomatic translation has to do with much popculture knowledge and detecting every subtlety of speech.

Because it helps making a better translation.
Most translation teams aim for an idiomatic translation and that can be very difficult from time to time.

Note: I am not perfect (suprise!) and am working on just a tiny bit of the translation in the german team and so i won't get nearly all things and it would be nice if everything YOU find, could be posted here. (yes you!)

And it would be nice if you could maintain some sort of structure.
These are the first entries and examples

- Misc>Enemies>Pecko_Flavor: A huge bird that likes nesting at really high altitudes! It's quite picky.
--> being quite picky referring to being choosy and pecking with the beak

- Misc>Enemies>MrsBee_Flavor: To bee or not to bee!
--> Reference to famous Shakespear Quote and the word bee itself.

- Misc>Enemies>Phaseman_Flavor: Phaseman is phased by no man!

Last edited:

Momizi

Rabby
well in the flying fortress there is a refrence to a codename MARISA and a weapon MASTERSPARK

witch is a refrence to touhou's Marisa and her spell MasterSpark
if that counts

infact im propley the olny one on the fourms besides the devs who got the refrence =(

Momizi

Rabby
the Marisa part in in phazemans dialog

and masterspark weapon is in the wall writing somewere

in use of a transaliton MasterSpark shoulnt be translated and should be keeped in english
becouse its a proper noun

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Since I'm not doing translations of the game I just want to ask, are you translating the names of NPCs? Because there are some names like (probably the best example) Nysbruden which would translate into "The Sneezechick" (OFC a direct translation that could be made better but I'm showing the meaning of the words. :p). Are you keeping the names as they are or do you translate them? :p

Dulled

Rabby
Are you keeping the names as they are or do you translate them? :p
Well, at least "I" am letting the names as they are in the original. The only ones that I'm translating are generic ones, like Carpenter or Bishop. I don't see a point in translating names...

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Yea, were keeping most of them. Uncle Vew --> Onkel Vew and so on, but no major changes as in germany most people will understand the english names like Trick and Treat

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Candy_GiveQuest_IngredientCollect01
"How sweet, I'm in a jam here you see."
Being in a jam is a joke on having a problem and sweets

mawile

Green Slime
Dialogues->Halloween->Inspect_Grave04
Here lies Carr Otter, Rabby feed.
Carr Otter is obviously a carrot, but there is also an album by Joe Carr - Otter Nonsense.
I just referenced to a carrot in my translation.

Dialogues->EvergrindCity->Simon01
Diggy Diggy Hole is a catchphrase from a song http://yogscast.wikia.com/wiki/Diggy_Diggy_Hole
I'm thinking, most Englishspeakers would play in English, while non English speakers would hardly notice that reference. So are there any good well-known Dwarf songs, except for "Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho" from the Snow White for the sake of the translation?

Last edited:

Dulled

Rabby
HQ > LabChemist01: "Chemistry! It is the study of matter, but I prefer to see it as the study of change.

Am I wrong, or someone in the dev team is a fan of Breaking Bad?

(This is one of Walter White's line)

Skaaj

Green Slime
EvergrindCity>Remedi01>Line 2 : "Where did I put the ancient nettlespore?"

Can someone tell me what is "nettlespore" ? It is a reference ? Thanks.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
A nettle is a plant and spore is the little things that flowers/plants release into the air to reproduce (sort of... I'm not an expert). So a nettlespore is a spore from a nettle. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urtica_dioica (probably one of the most common type of nettle found in Sweden as far as I know)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_plants_known_as_nettle (a list of different types of nettles and also a description of what they are)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spore (a description of what a spore is and all other unnecessary facts you don't need)

You should be able to change the language on the wiki pages if this doesen't make much sense to you in English. :)

Skaaj

Green Slime
Ok, this is just related to plant so.

I though it was something coming from a game I didn't played. A monsters or something like that :D

Thank you.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Well, there's Nettle Spore enemy in Guild Wars (found it by googling), but I think it's a coincidence :)