Lore speculations / discussion (spoiler alert!)

Jargalo

Rabby
So; here are my thoughts:
I disagree with this theory. I think that Bag definitely experienced the Cataclysm first-hand, but his role is yet to be revealed. Also, "samla in mer" is "collect more" in Swedish, according to Google translate.
So, maybe Master Ivy does have the crown, maybe not. I see an obvious ending where Master Ivy claims all the artifacts as soon as you get them and, because of the whole "bringing the dead back to life" thing, she conjures up some kind of zombie army? Or maybe she reanimates Zhamla Meer? Hopefully it'll be a twist no one expects...
The crown: I find it odd that a caveling offers you as a quest reward a crown that has power over time. Coincidence?
Dwarves: Are they canon or is Simon purely an easter egg? Also on the topic of Simon, If the next zone is a desert, will we need to look out for a pale-faced man?
Gravestones: Who erected the ones in Tai Ming? Wasn't Tai Ming abandoned? Why are there ghosts of people crying if the city was evacuated? Perhaps something happened before the evavacuation...
Cursed Priestess: Definitely Tessen.
Pumpkin Woods: How did it get that way? Dennis and his family imply that the curse took hold before the Cataclysm. What could have induced it?
I'll post more questions/answers when I think of them.

res7less

Jumpkin
The crown: I find it odd that a caveling offers you as a quest reward a crown that has power over time. Coincidence?

- Yeah, I've also been thinking about that caveling's quest and the fact that they made an icon graphic for an item the player supposedly never gets. But I sill think it was just for the lulz.

Gravestones: Who erected the ones in Tai Ming? Wasn't Tai Ming abandoned? Why are there ghosts of people crying if the city was evacuated? Perhaps something happened before the evavacuation...

- That's also something I noticed. It's as if Tai Ming was hit before the people could evacuate. Another logic would be that people either didn't believe their lives were at stake or simply refused to leave their homes - it's something that sometimes happens, when people lived all their lives in one place and have no where else to go and decide to stay even if it means their deaths. It could be that some of the people managed to flee and returned later to bury the dead and create the graveyard.

Pumpkin Woods: How did it get that way? Dennis and his family imply that the curse took hold before the Cataclysm. What could have induced it?

- I think that might be a different matter, that has nothing to do with the overall conflict. I wonder what the forest looked like when Professor Pine buried Aline there. According to his wording her death and the cataclysm happened on the same day, so he must have buried her afterwards. So it must have been safe for him to carry her there from the fortress.

Mimifun

Green Slime
I have a interesting thought.

Maybe the final boss is your mother. When you revive her with the artifacts she comes back corrupt and evil, like what happened to Winter.

Another idea to add onto this. What if you had to make the choice killing your mother or your father at the end of the game but if your save your mother she goes back to normal.

Just an idea and something to plunge into all of you speculators.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Well if it is I'll be disappointed, as I'm not exactly emotionally attached to Ma or Da yet. All I know is I want to wear Ma's f-off great big bow.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Implying Dad's arm hasn't been digested and egested yet? It's been a while since Ma died. It's more likely that you'll carve open it's belly and have blood, tissue fluid and stomach acid all over you instead :(

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Ok, this is not really a lore speculation, but there's an interesting dialogue involving Mundi and Shiidu (sentient shield).

Shiidu wants to stay in Tai Ming, because it doesn't like getting hit. Then Mundi says that it will change mind, when it finds a fitting wielder. Now, here's the interesting line (spoke by Shiidu): "I don't see that happening in a thousand years." See the keyword here? Is it a hint that we will wield the sentient shield eventually? Not saying that it's one of The Artifacts, but it might be possible that eventually we will meet the Tai Ming's and other sentient artifacts and be able to equip them, as an ultimate equipment. That sounds cool actually. Maybe they could also act as a story quest, when the final enemy shows up and be too strong to be defeated, so we'd need a help from other ancient and powerful artifacts to win. Or having them could even trigger a different ending.

Any thoughts?

res7less

Jumpkin
I've been thinking the exact same thing when I read that dialogue at first. However, at this point I think we've all been speculating so much, taking every little detail for a hint to something, that they began placing obvious hints like that on purpose to mislead us. :D Or, which would be even more confusing, they began placing obvious hints to make us aware of their obviousness and make us start thinking, that they place obvious hints on purpose to mislead us into not taking the hints seriously, which ends up with not knowing whether or not we should take a hint for a hint or an act of deception. The mind games are real! :eek:

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Double bluff? :confused: Triple bluff?! o_O Mega-octuple-anti-bluff!?! :eek:

To be honest, the Dev's don't seem like they'd be the sort of people who put a reference in their game to something that was going on at the time. Then again, don't take a single sentence as the only piece of evidence for a theory. Gather everything together from what else is in the game and see how it builds on it, or how this sentence changes your perception of other sentences. Go for something larger, not something obscure. That way you'll get a solid ending that won't be too ridiculous (and I guess this is kinda what I meant to say in the other post about satisfying endings :D)

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Just actually read this conversation properly.

upload_2016-12-31_18-33-47.png

The general gist of the chat here is that the trees in the Pumpkin Woods have cast a spell on the area which prevents anyone using the East exit, because it wants someone to give it a darn good culling. One statement I'm particularly interested in is this one:

"The anger of the forest has empowered some of it's monsters."

So is this implying that the fact the trees are angry at the monsters has made some of the monsters stronger, turning them into Elites? That seems a bit backwards to me. It would make more sense if the trees were angry because there are so many monsters they're starting to get more powerful, rather than the monsters getting stronger because the trees are angry. Unless the anger of one rubs off on the other or something. The fact that there are plants with consciousness and magic in the first place goes unexplained anyway.

The thing I really wanted to get at though was that, if these Elite minions have been created by the anger of the forest... how do they appear in the rest of the world once you dispose of a few of them? And if they keep spawning after the initial few you kill, does that mean the forest is still angry? If so, why does the forest lift the curse? It shouldn't, right?

SacredFire

Green Slime
So.... I read the other theories here and wanted to input the theory I came up with while playing the game,

Firstly: What if the player him/herself IS zhalma reincarnated, with no memory of their past life.
(If Zhalma is not the player then I am under the opinion that it is possible that collecting the human card is somehow related to a person becoming an artifact.

Secondly: I believe that eventually you will figure out that there are 5 artifacts needed and not 4, being the five artifacts wielded by zhalma in the past.... (though there would have to be an explanation for them having no memory of it)
Brazlet- Mundi states he has been assigned to zhalma
The Crown- Going back over game dialog has made me fairly certain this is an artifact
Amalet
Gauntlet
??? (maybe a sword)
and Bag

Finally: What if at the ending Ivy resurrects Zhalma, the player defeats zhalma, somehow collecting the human card from zhalma, and winds up as an artifact due to the collection of the card?

Note: I think it is worth noting that the way it looks to have a spell charged to the gold tier is similar to how an Elite Monster looks. ( I really want to be an Elite Collector :p)

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
My thoughts on "human card".

Cards are said to be in every living/sentient being (that includes robots and plant). Now, assuming this applies to humans too, when we look at all cards, there's no simple human card.

Look at Frostlings. They have 2 different cards, even if they are one species. This means that cards are "essence" of the individual being. Frostlings have two professions: Scoundrels and Rogues. So the card that drops from a being depends on what it did in it's life. Most of monsters drop single cards per species, because they are very primitive. E.g. Rabby is just a Rabby, it can't be Guardian Rabby or Gardener Rabby, right? So, if human cards are to exist, we wouldn't get a single one from humans. We would get a Human Collector card, Human Carpenter card, Human Blacksmith card etc. They would grant us abilities of the person they were formed from.

That's my logical thoughts on what would human card be. This is sort of supported by the fact that Season Mages and Knights have different variations, but they drop the same card. They are the same species, but ones have mage profession and others knight profession. They season alignment is probably sort of race thing. Like, if Rabbies had color variations, they would still all drop the same card. Red Slimes would then fall for this category too. White Human Armorer and Black Human Blacksmith would probably drop the same card too, because they are the same species and they do the same thing, even if differently.

That doesn't explain why there are some "chosen" species that seemingly don't drop cards, though. Humans, Fae, Cavelings (which are related to Frostlings). Maybe it has something to do with the fact, that all things which drop cards, are also hostile towards player. Maybe in world of Grindea, cards are a trophy for defeating your enemy. But I doubt that when Zhamla went on rampage, no one tried to fight off. Any human that would then stood against him would become his "enemy", thus qualifying for a human card. Not to mention that human cards should then also drop in events like wars.

Interesting, huh?

Own

Not to mention that human cards should then also drop in events like wars.

The only reason anyone ever raised the issue of a human card is a tucked away, almost intentionally overlooked monitor in the Flying Fortress. The very last one you would read in the room with about five.

It said pretty much what you just did.

SacredFire

Green Slime
The only reason anyone ever raised the issue of a human card is a tucked away, almost intentionally overlooked monitor in the Flying Fortress. The very last one you would read in the room with about five.

One monitor to completely change how you look at the game

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
I've read it so long ago, that I don't remember what it said :chicken:

Anyways, I gave more details on this matter, using references to other cards and connecting it together.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Bets that Zhamla just got reeeeeeaally bad RNG. Could be a reason why the devs went for a random drop chance - because it's actually part of the lore.