Lost Save Data!

Jargalo

Rabby
I updated to the frontline beta, but first I made a backup of my game non beta. I successfully completed the festival, but the next time I launched the game I was unable to locate my save file. I switched to the backup, but my save wasn't there either. Not wanting to go through the entire game again, Is there any way to return my old save? or is it a computer problem? I use a windows computer, and steam. My antivirus is AVG. can anyone help?

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I updated to the frontline beta, but first I made a backup of my game non beta. I successfully completed the festival, but the next time I launched the game I was unable to locate my save file. I switched to the backup, but my save wasn't there either. Not wanting to go through the entire game again, Is there any way to return my old save? or is it a computer problem? I use a windows computer, and steam. My antivirus is AVG. can anyone help?
What files did you make a backup for? There have been some reported save file losses but I'm fairly sure that the backup system that Teddy made should be able to help you. All the save files are stored in %APPDATA% together with the backup files that the game should make for you. If you change the backup file's name to the save file name then it should replace the old save file (the one with the lost data) and your old save file should be almost fully restored. Let me know if you can't get this to work. :)

Jargalo

Rabby
I found a file entitled "auto4.cha", and renamed it "1.cha", then put it in my character folder. the carachter appeared, only it was at 40% completion, savepoint flying fortress. aside from not wanting to redo all the rest of the stuff that i had done, i wasn't even able to play using the character(pressing z didn't load the game). Any ideas?

Shana

Green Slime
Hmm I had that "not able to load character" problem when I tried to load a frontline save file on a non-frontline game version. SO if this is a frontline version saved game and your are not currently on the frontline version that may be the cause. I don't know any other solution aside from that tho.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Did you copy the world file as well? Also, when recovering the backup files, be sure to sort the files by date and pick the latest!