Meaning clarifications

res7less

Jumpkin
Dialogue Tool
Region: EvergrindCity_Festival
LocalID: Haddock_FishingGame04_Tie

Okay, this one isn't about the meaning, but about its conditionals. I'm not sure if I'm not able to think through properly or if there's a mistake there or if there's just a case, where it's okay that players will get different texts.

The activated conditionals are Local Char Girl, Main Char Girl and Otherwise. The way it's intended here is that, if there is not a single female character among the players (even if it's 4 players), the text is supposed to show

"[...] promisin' young fisherlads among ye!"

But when I think about it, let's say we're in multiplayer with 3 players, the Main Character is male and among other two players there is one female character, then it's supposed to say

"[...] promisin' young fisherlads and fisherlasses among ye!"

For the female player it will be shown correct, since Local Char Girl will be true, but for the male main character, both Local Char Girl and Main Char Girl will be false, so he will get the Otherwise message, which differs from the one shown to the female character client. The same will be the case for the second male character player, since neither Main Char Girl, nor Local Char Girl will be true for him.

So, how is this case to be treated? Am I mistaken in my thinking somewhere? Or is it simply that in that case it's okay for the players to get different messages? It's not that of a big deal, after all but after having payed close attention to when both players will see the same dialogue vs. player triggers his own dialogue and translating accordingly, I would like to know about this one.

TsReaper

Boar
Dialogue Tool
LocalID: Haddock_FishingGame04_Tie

"[...] promisin' young fisherlads and fisherlasses among ye!"

I...uh...just translate it as "...promisin' youngsters who are good at fishing among ye". Maybe it's not a good idea.

There is an achievement called "Vanilla Ice"(Get S on floor 9 and 10) and I can't understand what its name means. And "Scary Good"(Complete all the challenges in the Pumpkin Woods) just means "very good" right?

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I...uh...just translate it as "...promisin' youngsters who are good at fishing among ye". Maybe it's not a good idea.

There is an achievement called "Vanilla Ice"(Get S on floor 9 and 10) and I can't understand what its name means. And "Scary Good"(Complete all the challenges in the Pumpkin Woods) just means "very good" right?
I think your solution seems resonable. I wouldn't mind it since it's the same meaning. No need to be specific on the genders. :)

Vanilla Ice can mean two things, an american rapper or vanilla ice cream.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_Ice

https://bpsfuelforthought.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/vanilla-ice-cream.jpg

Scary good is a way of saying someone is so good that it scares you how good they are. So yeah, very good. :p

res7less

Jumpkin
The problem is not the translation itself, but its conditionals, that cause different text appear for different players.

res7less

Jumpkin
Dialogue Tool
InsideIvysOffice_InspectBook02

It's a book written by Conny Spircey, titled "Lost Knowledge - Accident or Arson?"

Is this a reference to something?

Also, I still require feedback concerning the tie during the fishing game.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Conny Spiracy is the Devs turning the word "conspiracy" into a name. Not sure about the book name though. Having said that, something I never realised (which Fred pointed out on stream once) is that bag was around when this "lost knowledge" incident happened, because he's an artefact. :p

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Well, considering the name of the author I would guess the book is full of made up facts about something that burned down and killed someone. Accident or Arson suggests that he is conspiring that someone that was claimed to have been killed in an accident would have been murdered, meaning someone set fire to the building with the purpose to kill the resident. Not sure if there is a reference to the books name.

res7less

Jumpkin
Well, considering the name of the author I would guess the book is full of made up facts about something that burned down and killed someone. Accident or Arson suggests that he is conspiring that someone that was claimed to have been killed in an accident would have been murdered, meaning someone set fire to the building with the purpose to kill the resident. Not sure if there is a reference to the books name.
No, the content of the book is about the author, thinking that some cult intentionally set fires, that destroyed almost all of the documents before the cataclysm. I just failed to get the "conspiracy" pun, so I thought the auther name and the book might be some reference, but it's all good now.

It was Farmahmera, whose actions resulted in the fires being collateral damage. But the author didn't care! It was a cult, obviously.

res7less

Jumpkin
Dialogue Tool
Region: MtBloom
Hagglox_DuringQuest

This is where Bag and Hagglox... well... haggle for the entrance to the cave. Surprisingly, during part 13 of the dialogue Hagglox says "I was outwitted by a human?!". Well. No, it was actually Bag, who was haggling and not the player. I know, that the player can't speak, but... automatically transfering Bag's achievements to players? I don't know. So, how is this to be treated? And more importantly: what about multiple players? Should the credit just be given to "humans" while Bag did all the work?

res7less

Jumpkin
Dialogue Tool
Region: MtBloom
LocalID: LockedDoor02

From what I heard it is apparently a quote from Undertale. If that is so, I don't think there is a translation of this game into russian, so should it be just translated directly? In what sense is "comedian" meant here? Like a clown-semi-insult, or..?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Like a clown-semi-insult, or..?

Hmm... yes, I think you have the gist of it! I'm not sure what exactly it should be classified as, but I guess semi-insult is the closest I get as well :D

Imagine if some asshat keeps pulling harmless but annoying escalating pranks on you, and one day when you go to your car, he's written his signature all over it with boat paint.

Then you might say "that prankster..." before going inside getting your shotgun.

You might also say something very obviously insult-like, such as "that ***** **** **** *****", but somehow I feel it's more sinister to say something vaguely insulting than to go ham :D

I think the most important part here is to capture the feeling that, at this moment, Bag silently vows to destroy Lurifix one day (without actually saying it)