Misc Text Tool Instructions

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Overview

This is what the misc text tool looks like:

!!!newmisctextx.png
  1. Save the project
  2. Selecting a string to translate - if a LocalID beings with * it means that string has not been translated!
  3. Text constraints simply determine the font and the size of the brown box indicating the maximum space allowed in game
  4. Various options telling the program how to behave, as well as selecting language regions
  5. Displays some basic info regarding the current translation project
  6. The text box where you input the translated text
  7. Notes from me regarding the current string
  8. Select a portion of the text and click one of these buttons to add color (or default to remove)
  9. Press this button to copy the English original into the text box
  10. Shows the text as rendered in the game.
  11. Create/Select Conditionals (see the Dialogue tool info for details)
  12. Edit current Conditional
Typical Usage

Using the tool should be pretty straightforward. Enter a text in the text box and it shows up to the right!

Note: the brown box indicates the maximum space in-game! It's not arbitrary - if your text overflows here it will probably do so in-game as well. The only exceptions are containers of large text amounts, which are usually resized in game. These are things such as bag tips, quest descriptions, enemy details and spell details (under more info).

When you're done with a string, press CTRL + S to save and then ALT + Down (or click Next Unsaved), to skip to the first untranslated string in the current category.

When you're done with the translation, or your part of it if you're working in a team, click Save Project and close the tool to return to the main Translation Suite.

Options

Alphabet is the active alphabet used, and will determine what set of characters is loaded in game as well. The default is roman, which should cover most European languages, like English, German, Spanish, Portuguese etc. I've also added cyrillic and greek. If your language has a different alphabet, please PM me and I'll try to add it!

Note that for some languages with a massive amount of symbols, like Chinese, Korean and Japanese, I can't add a universal spritefont for that. If you want to translate the game into one of these languages, you'll have to check out the Font panel in the translation suite!

When translating for a language that can't be displayed using one of the supplied alphabet (letters will appear as a bunch of ??? to the right), select Override. If you've compiled a font of your own, you can test that by selecting Custom.

Mode is also something related to glyph heavy languages. Since much of the text in the game is sadly too small to feasibly be rendered in, say, Kanji, there's a mode called "Subfont" which will remove the ability to translate those types of strings. When Subfont is enabled, Next Unsaved will ignore anything that currently can't be rendered using custom fonts.

Last edited:

Dulled

Rabby
Is it possible for the translators to see the in game sprites when they edit a specific item in the misc. editor? I believe it would help to understand the original description. But I believe that this may be a problem, as some malicious people may claim these sprites for themselves. Just wanted to know.

Dulled

Rabby
Well, I believe that I found a tiny bug in the misc. program.
Little Bug.png
The letters with accents, like the 'ê', "á" and "í" are bold. I'm not sure if this will appear in the game, though.

if you maximize this window tool (or just increase this window height), on the bottom right corner appears a small textbox with the same content as the dialogue you are translating, am I wrong or this textbox shouldn't be there?

Note: sorry about this lol, but I am computer programmer too, and when I find a bug I like to fix it as soon as i can, in this case report it.

Skaaj

Green Slime
In the "Items" category, there is a "LocalID" called "*PeckoDollDPaperBagDescriptionescription" that contains the exact same text as the LocalID "PeckoDollDescription".

My guess is that the first one souldn't be there. Is that right ?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
In the "Items" category, there is a "LocalID" called "*PeckoDollDPaperBagDescriptionescription" that contains the exact same text as the LocalID "PeckoDollDescription".

My guess is that the first one souldn't be there. Is that right ?

Yes :D

Igor

Green Slime
I have a strange problem with cyrillic - looks like game have a lot of questions to it, but translate tool thinks that it's just fine.
And TT doesnt letting me to change options.
Новый точечный рисунок.jpg 2016-01-25_00001.jpg

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I have a strange problem with cyrillic - looks like game have a lot of questions to it, but translate tool thinks that it's just fine.
And TT doesnt letting me to change options.
View attachment 1261 View attachment 1262

Seems like the game isn't loading the cyrillic fonts!

It might be because the game checks the language using the dialogue file... try translating a random line of dialogue (set to cyrillic), update the translation and then try in-game again!

Igor

Green Slime
Seems like the game isn't loading the cyrillic fonts!

It might be because the game checks the language using the dialogue file... try translating a random line of dialogue (set to cyrillic), update the translation and then try in-game again!
Thanks! It's ok now.

res7less

Jumpkin
I'm having a small issue right now after the Mt. Bloom update, though I don't think it's severe. I finished translating the latest Misc texts, saved the project as usual and exited. But when I now start up the tool, I always get the "1 string was flagged for translation" message, but the indicators show 100% and clicking "Next unsaved" gets the "No unsaved string found" message. I sure hope nothing got corrupted or something like that. I should really back up my stuff by now, but I never tried looking around for the data to find out, what files are the ones to backup.

res7less

Jumpkin
Just noticed that according to the Translation Tool, apparently both Freddy and Teddy (ingame characters) are a reference to Teddy :D

freddy_the_teddy.PNG

No room for poor Fred :(