Non Binary Player Character Option

Cangwen

Green Slime
I would really like to see a non binary gender option for character creation. I know it probably wouldn't make a lot of difference with the graphics. It just would be nice to have if just for storytelling purposes.

GringeaFun

Green Slime
Sounds a little silly, but it would be cool. But for this, the developers will have to rewrite the dialogs. Better not.

Last edited:

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
I think that this would be an awesome modding project. (And the devs should think about defaulting to singular they/them for future games instead of making a huge multidimensional monolith that is the current translation)

Literally Who

Green Slime
(And the devs should think about defaulting to singular they/them for future games instead of making a huge multidimensional monolith that is the current translation)
Filthy repugnant necroposter here, but I just feel like maybe giving the devs an alternate perspective in case they do consider this approach in future games.

I actually liked all the times I've seen the dialog refer to my character as a young man or a little boy or a wee lad or somesuch. It felt like the characters really were talking to him and not referring to some kind of amorphous entity they cannot perceive on account of limited programming. It showed high effort and attention to detail, and being high effort and having good attention to detail is what sold me on this game.

Defaulting to the ambiguous method of referring to the protagonist is easier but feels impersonal, unimmersive, and lazy, unless you can cleverly avoid the actual ambiguous language, like for example how the Ancestor in "Darkest Dungeon" says "Many fall in the face of terror, but not *this one*, not today" when referring to a hero (who may be a man or a woman) succeeding a resolve check and becoming virtuous. On the contrary, the "Black Reliquary" mod for that game doesn't do any of that, and sounds grating as a result of its overindulgence in ambiguous language.

Sure, it's understandable if one doesn't want to double the dialog writing workload to have boy and girl versions for every line where the protagonist is being referenced, but I just want to say that when the developers do go out of their way to do this, like they did in Grindea, it is definitely noticed and appreciated.

Last edited: