Port Forwarding, Firewall and Hamachi Guides

ark626

Maybee the Port 6000 is used by another program from your pc try to change the SOG port in the config and change it to another port like 8124 and try that.

Also change the Settings in your router to only forward the port 8124 to your static ip
Tell your friend to change the port of SoG also.
The Port you are forwarding has to be UDP

Zeph Grey

Green Slime
Alright, I tried changing the port to 8124 and forwarding with UDP, nothing, and also to one I KNOW works, (7777 used for Terraria) and still no go. And setting up my PC as a DMZ sounds complicated, and I would have no idea how to even begin.

I'm really baffled here. I play online all the time, and have forwarded ports a lot, but have never hit a wall like this.

Really sucks because I was trying to convince a friend to buy it, and this didn't help. XD

ark626

DOnt set your pc in DMZ permanent its somehow dangerous because each open port is a huge security isssue ;D
If you want to try there is a Function in your router called Exposed Host.
Which means your PC will be technically set up BEFORE the Router. MEaning no Routerfirewall is protecting you.

Yeah some programm on your PC is already occupiing the standard SoG port ;)

Is SoG Blocked by your firewall? Or by the FW of your friend. If so you can TRY by turning both off try for a sec and turn them on again. If it works the problem is the firewall. Also try if the Anti Virus software is maybee an issue.
Is somebody of u using a third party firewall like Zone Alarm? Or only windows firewall?

Yuuki

Boar
you just have to go to you router , open the dmz setting and put in the local ip of adress of your pc.

Zeph Grey

Green Slime
Set to DMZ: Nothing
Turned off firewall completely: Nothing
Changed the port (again): Nothing
Turned off virus protection: Nothing

I'm stumped, and frankly, ready to give up. Love the game, but this isn't worth all this when everything else works. I'll wait for an update or something.

Yuuki

Boar
do you have skype? or how is you steam id?

Something i noticed when i did it was that my AV Firewall basicly went havok each timed someone wanted to connect to me, maybe its same with you, simply disabling the ff dindt help either.

Last edited:

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
@Zeph Grey I think it's really sad that you can't get multiplayer to work and as you can see we all want you to fix this problem. I am not very good at this stuff but I think it would help a lot of you made a video, streamed or just posted a full step-by-step list here so these guys can figure out what's going wrong. I know that this is a ton load of work but if we can figure this out then maybe we can save more peoples lives later on. Maybe there is a problem in the game (it is a beta after all) and if it is then we can help the devs to fix this. I have full understanding if you decide to give up because spending this much time would totally make me feel like quitting. Keep in there and we'll fix this together! <3<3<3

mr. nails

Rabby
Anyone have time to help me with port forwarding? I have been trying to set it up for the last 3 hours and can not for the life of me open port 6000 (or any port for that matter).

I'm on Windows 7 and do not have any software firewall installed. I've uninstalled it so it's not a factor.

I'm running SoG as admin and have tried with and without a static ip.

My router is an Arris DG1617A and it's the 3rd one I've tried so that's probably not the problem.

Can something be defective hardware wise on my PC? The motherboard nic perhaps? Obviously I'm able to access the internet.

I will say I'm not 100% sure I have it set up correctly though. I don't understand it and just mimic what others have did to the best I can.

I've added an exception to Windows 7 firewall and use following site to see if my port is open.

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

I've added a "Virtual Server" inbound port 6000 to 6000, BOTH TCP and UDP, local port 6000 to 6000, and provided a private IP address which I'm not sure is correct.

And I've added the exact same info for a "Port Trigger" as well.

I'm not sure what other info is needed so I'll end this here and add more info as you request.

Please and thank you.

Last edited:

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Can you make some pictures of the router menu? It is easier to help when we can see all the option available to you.
(There's no need to uninstall the windows firewall)
Unbenannt.PNG

mr. nails

Rabby
I also made a server and started it up and while I was in game I did the netstat -a.

To be honest, I have no idea what I was looking for on the CMD line. Didn't see anything 6000. I also went to that site I mentioned to see if my port was open and it was not.

ark626

That means, that the problem is server side(meaning your pc)

Also if no open Connection exists in netstat -a from PC that means (normally) that there is some error within your pc that prevents SoG from listening at that port for incoming data.

Firewall, virus , hosts data, etc could be the reason

Will start thinking more tomorrow if im more sober

mr. nails

Rabby
Thank you for your time. Any help is appreciated. Not only SoG, but other games as well. Would be nice to start playing co-op again. :)

I'll add that I've also used two different version of Windows 7 too (in the past).

ark626

Is the game able to do multiplayer inside the lan?

If not and if the cmd netstat -a doesnt show an open SoG port if you host a game, the first problem is INSIDE your System somewhere.

Maybee a firewall is blocking or another programm, if you have it you can try exchanging your ethernet/wlan card for anotherone (just to test).

I think there are multiple problems inside that current configuration, first we should try to get the port on lan going, after that we check the LAN => Router => Internet => Lan => SecondPC.

But first things first, try the Lan game getting started

mr. nails

Rabby
I do not have any access to a 2nd PC to test lan.

I do however have two nic connections on my current motherboard. I have tested both connections and neither open ports.

I also allowed Windows 7 to access SoG through its firewall. I did uninstall a software firewall too. Doing both didn't help my cause.

Maybe my motherboard with its two onboard nics are the problem? I've been thinking that, but don't know how to prove it. I am able to get on the internet afterall. Are being on the internet and port forwarding through the same nics not related?

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Nope. The motherboard is definitly not the problem. Your router is and we won't be able to help you.
This sounds so negativ, sorry. But some routers just won't allow that. I have a easybox 904 which also won't allow port opening. I have settings in the router menu, but even if done correctly it won't work.

Two tips though
1. try playing! even if the ports get reported as closed. Sometimes it just shows wriong.
2. use software like hamachi, tunngle or evolve to play with others.

ark626

@MrChocodemon but what about the fact, that the Port isnt even open in the LAN.

Seems like the PC doesnt start up the port to me, cause netstat -a didnt show an open port.

Normally netstat should show all lan ports or am i wrong there?

I also dont belive, that the motherboard is the problem, but i think there are at least 2 Problems in this configuration