[Savegames] Need a hotfix to continue playing

GrimToadstool

Green Slime
So, what's happening is pretty simple. Any progress I make in Storymode disappears after I restart the game. A new character gets deleted and so on. What I assume happened is that during one save, the connection to steam got interrupted, which caused the game to try to detect a corruption and revert to an earlier state. What seems to happen now is that the game still reverts the saves, though the files aren't really corrupted anymore. Can you hotfix that? It could be as simple as make the reversal progress optional, so I can disable it and try again.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
So, what's happening is pretty simple. Any progress I make in Storymode disappears after I restart the game. A new character gets deleted and so on. What I assume happened is that during one save, the connection to steam got interrupted, which caused the game to try to detect a corruption and revert to an earlier state. What seems to happen now is that the game still reverts the saves, though the files aren't really corrupted anymore. Can you hotfix that? It could be as simple as make the reversal progress optional, so I can disable it and try again.
Are you using the second save slot? That one is known to be causing problems so you try using another slot for now. The devs are working on a fix that will come with the next update.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
In case you have a character in slot 6 (bottom of middle column,) I seem to be getting a thing whereby it resets all of my quests each time I reload the game. It doesn't delete any of my items/levels though. Also,
Are you using the second save slot? That one is known to be causing problems

I'm not having any issues with my slot 2. What's been up with that one?

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
In case you have a character in slot 6 (bottom of middle column,) I seem to be getting a thing whereby it resets all of my quests each time I reload the game. It doesn't delete any of my items/levels though. Also,

I'm not having any issues with my slot 2. What's been up with that one?
Teddy wrote this:

The game gets kind of messed up sometimes when that crash occurs, including resetting the game state, which defaults back to "saveslot 1". Since the name of the real first slot is 0, save slot 1 is actually the second character. Through this process, it also resets all data on the player, including the player name (it gets set to "").

Then, since it doesn't seem to understand it's crashing, it exits the game peacefully and saves the game. Since the save file is now a character named "", the game considers that slot empty, despite it not being empty at all. That's what causing the... "interesting" bugs when people create a new character in that slot. Also, to make matters worse, the backup system can't detect the error since the file actually isn't corrupt - the info is garbage but perfectly loadable.

All these things should be fixed in the next Frontline update. I would patch them into Stable if they didn't include some changes to the saving system. I want it tested a bit on a subset of players before throwing it out on Stable and accidentally deleting everyone's save files!

http://secretsofgrindea.com/forum/i...-while-transitioning-arcade-rooms-crash.6094/

GrimToadstool

Green Slime
So, some news. I created a character in Slot 3 "Sultan" and one in Slot 4 "Ronin", Now I didn't play Sultan beyond Startington, neither Ronin at first. Then restartet, realised, they are still there, made my former post. After that I started playing Ronin till the Halloween Wood and farmed the Smashlight, then restarted. Now Sultan is gone. The Smashlight got unequiped and Ronin's wooden shield dissappeared. Also all campaign progress is gone, I'm back to the beginning, level and skills are still there.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Wow, those are some wicked bugs! By the sound of things, they don't sound directly related to the "second slot"-bug.

Would you say that Ronin got Sultan's campaign save? Or did the progress reset completely (so that the starting cutscene was played again)?

Maybe there's something messing with the save file recovery, making it lose track of which file it's on. (I'm just rambling here)

What you could try to do as an experiment is going into %APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea and see what save files you have in Characters and Worlds.

Delete (or rename) anything that's not in use. The first save slot is named "0.cha" or "0.wld", and the second save slot is named "1.cha" etc. So, if you aren't using the second save slot, delete all files named 1. Do the same with slot 4 (save files numbered as 3)

GrimToadstool

Green Slime
So, I backed up the appdata subfolder and will start fiddling around with it. Probably deleting most of it. Two observations: For Ronin, there's no wld data, there's a cha though. About your question, the campaign did start over, no transfer. Also the "Savegame iteration is at 11" dunno what that has to say.

GrimToadstool

Green Slime
Soo.... I just deleated all characters and world datas... (except 1337) and the backups. Result: All my chars are gone now. Except my first slot char. He's still there. What the FineBros is going on? Where did that file come back from? This game is haunted!

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
That is pretty haunting! :O

Can it be Steam Cloud that's doing funny stuff? Though that should recover everything, I guess...