Secrets of Grindea speedruns

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
The smileys are real o_O

Turning around and dashing forward with Dodging Strike will get you just as far as you would get with Piercing Strike and that requires less skill to use and it's the same EP cost (I think). :p

Having tested this multiple times in Arcade mode multiplayer, dodging strike as a movement technique is just as fast as walking. In that respect, Piercing Dash is always better. Aside from being a great skill to turn around tight situations, it's main other use is wall clipping. It's the fastest movement technique in the game (the strike) which doesn't automatically cancel when you hit a wall.

The only other thing I've found it useful for is looking like a badass by doing this. It's a waste of EP though:

JamesKT

Boar
Another thing to note about Piercing Dash that I've been taking advantage of is that tapping the dash retains it's current level charge within a certain time peroid. The distance coverage of the dash also differs by rank of course but I don't think it warrants the use of Dodging Strike. Also Dodging Strike isn't my kind of move(OPINION). ._.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Dodging strike is no way as OP as spirit slash and can only really be effectively used in certain situations. I really don't blame you for not liking it, especially when speedrunning :p

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Found the Grindea ones yet? Click on the smiley face in the toolbar when making a post and there's a tab in the menu it brings up with forum specific emojis :naniva:

luckyb

Green Slime
Found the Grindea ones yet? Click on the smiley face in the toolbar when making a post and there's a tab in the menu it brings up with forum specific emojis :naniva:

Yea but.-. not that i dont like them but i like animated smileys idk if its possible :D and im missing a slime emote >.<

JamesKT

Boar
So I wanted to bring up a topic of discussion that might be ideal since I haven't made the announcement here. I've recently become a Moderator on Speedrun.com for Secrets of Grindea!

This opens up the possibilities of potential categories such as weapon(1H or 2H)/spell categories or potentially Hard & Beast Mode categories. 100% isn't realistic unless some sort of glitch is found for loot/card manipulation. Currently 100% could possibly take 16+ Hours with current content. Not exactly ideal sounding is it? :p

So since I don't really have anything new to bring to the table currently as far as speedrunning goes, categories are always a thing that can be discussed.

Own

- 1P, 2P, 3P, 4P Arcade Speedrun on Normal and Hard.
- 1P, 2P, 3P, 4P Story Speedrun on Normal and Hard.
- Expert Phase Bouncing Course speedrun. (Starts the moment the first phase is done, requires going to every platform where chests are, ends at the last platform in the second room.)

luckyb

Green Slime
How about Max%? Doing all Side quests, puzzles and treadures. Because that does not include drop luck ;)
or
50% or something like that. if you get a card or rare loot your lucky and can skip a puzzle or sidequest ;)

JamesKT

Boar
1P, 2P, 3P, 4P
1P, yes. 2/3/4P, currently no. The game as a base currently is only single player with multiplayer being locked to Online. Not Offline. If down the line UI improvements and condensing is done, 2P looks like a possibility as long as it's Local 2P(2 Players, 1 Screen). Until then, I don't think more than 1 person is feasible.

Arcade Speedrun on Normal and Hard.
This could be a category. I wouldn't mind seeing Normal/Hard actual speedruns of Arcade. But with how RNG Heavy the rooms can be, Real Time over Game Time should be taken into consideration unless there's a fixed number of fight rooms per floor I'm not aware of. I'm not the most avid Arcade runner out there after all so I wouldn't know. :p

Story Speedrun on Normal and Hard.
Considering I already run Normal and currently considering Hard, this isn't a topic of discussion. :p

Expert Phase Bouncing Course speedrun. (Starts the moment the first phase is done, requires going to every platform where chests are, ends at the last platform in the second room.)
This one is interesting to quote on... It would be a side thing obviously and mostly it's race material. I'm kinda torn 50/50 on this one.

How about Max%? Doing all Side quests, puzzles and treasures. Because that does not include drop luck ;) or ]50% or something like that. if you get a card or rare loot your lucky and can skip a puzzle or sidequest ;)
Pecko Turkeys say otherwise, Sadly. And when I see Max%, I can't help but think of 100%. >.>;;; Also with the game not completed yet, the end result of the game could yield 50% through random pickups alone. I get close to 30% now, sure, but rng could be kinder and give me more cards and boost it higher. What I see here is a stalled run for 50%. I don't consider it viable.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
What are the requirements for a "glitched speedrun"? There has to be a line between glitched and legitimate, and I was just wondering if it's defined or not. I've been experimenting to find a few exploits recently (with moderate success) and wondering how much I'd need to find to create a whole new category. Also, does it vary from game to game?

JamesKT

Boar
Really does depend on how these glitches work. I mean there are glitches that can completely soft lock games and there are even glitches that can take you from the beginning of the game straight to the end game cinematic(E.G. video provided)

Ardeof

Rabby
Hex editing with specific movement ingame is nearly impossible to do now on newer games. The limitations of consoles are pretty much non-existent in PC coding. Almost every older game has these glitches and whatnot, and even some of the newer console games. On PC there isn't really any limitation so the glitches are much more minor.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
You only need to take a look at A+Start's channel on YouTube to find a whole host of glitches in newer games (he's even done some speedruns as well, although not necessarily world class). Admittedly a lot of the games are on console and so the glitches can't be performed on PC, but hex editing and arbitrary code execution are very rare glitches to come by, and you don't necessarily need those for a glitched speedrun. A few handy out of bounds clips and some quick lap triggers are all that's needed to make a healthy Mario Kart Any% completion, and those aren't uncommon glitches on PC games.

All you really need for glitched speedruns is time, a fanbase and some dedication. I've already found an exploit myself this week (although it's not really speedrun worthy). Who knows what else Grindea holds.

Ardeof

Rabby
While it's not a very new game, Gothic is an example of known PC game, that has glitches useful for speedruns:

Well yeah. I meant heavily successful games. Of course there'll be 90% of the "shovel-ware" as it's called that are released early to try to continue funding the project and end up "finishing" early because of lack of funding etc.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Yeah with the computer skip that's a really helpful speedrun tactic. You see I'd almost consider that a glitch myself, but it doesn't cut off enough time to turn the run into a glitched run. That's probably what it's based on now I think about it.