Secrets of Grindea speedruns

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Well yeah. I meant heavily successful games. Of course there'll be 90% of the "shovel-ware" as it's called that are released early to try to continue funding the project and end up "finishing" early because of lack of funding etc.
Are you implying that Gothic is shovel-ware?:eek:
If that is the case, then I am deeply offended.

res7less

Jumpkin
Gothic is part of german gaming history and an awesome game franchise and everyone who didn't play it is missing out!

JamesKT

Boar
- Expert Phase Bouncing Course speedrun. (Starts the moment the first phase is done, requires going to every platform where chests are, ends at the last platform in the second room.)
I've decided on a simple technicality that this will not be a run. It's been discussed and compared with Mario Kart. You have to unlock the Phase Course. On top of this, the Phase Course isn't available on the Title Screen. Mario Kart you can unlock cups but they're accessible from the Title Screen after the unlock.

For the time being, I'm going to have to say No to this being a category. If more ppl ran the game I could get more feedback on this suggestion as a category and have a more definitive answer regarding it.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Having been on the stream discussing this subject, the main point was that the majority of speedruns aim to start and finish a game, with optional objectives/restrictions along the way, such as no glitches, 100%, all sidequests, etc. There are very few games which have categories that don't start and finish the whole game. One of these was Mario Kart DS, which has run times for each of the individual cups.

As much as I'd like to see this as a run, I think the issue with it would be that there will only be one viable route worth taking, and such, all speedruns for it would be very, very close. You also have to issue of implementing skill restraints, or people would piercing dash some parts, and it eventually comes down to whoever has frame perfect timings rather than who rightfully knows the best route and how to go about it. That's why I don't think it will pass as it's own speedrun category.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
And I bet 100 floors takes a hefty time to complete, compared to like 3 phase courses. The fastest time is 19 minutes, with the majority being over an hour. The phase course would probably be about 2 minutes.

JamesKT

Boar
I've been thinking about restrictions regarding 1P/2P Speedruns in order to keep things sanctioned. Thoughts?

14245704ff9c26dcb8452399b77b3317.png

PS: Last word is "Modified". It got cut off sadly.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Are these gonna be on the same leaderboard? I feel like that would be a bit unfair.

I personally think 2P will be a bit too variable. While enemies will most likely be killed quicker and there's higher chances for cards to drop, you have to arrange times to practice with someone else, let alone find someone to run with in the first place. I don't think the game is popular enough for may 2P runs to be submitted, but I guess we'll see. Maybe a couple buddies get together and give it a go (I'm always available James ;))

The main thing that's gonna be an issue is coordination. The "Wait for your friends: 1/2" will account for many a time loss, and there's double the chance of a run ending due to accidents. Perhaps there will be less run ends due to RNG though.

As for "Item Share" being allowed to be modified, it would be much more beneficial as a team to have it on Round Robin, then you essentially duplicate drops.

It would be nice to watch a 2P run though. Is it done often in other games?

JamesKT

Boar
There are some SNES Speedruns that can be done 2P such as Secret of Mana(<--Link; Kinda why I brought it up before). Coordination is key and can open up build variation during said speedruns such as 1H & 2H in the same run. Coordinating drops to ensure each person takes advantage of each other. Both players could get Insult to Injury while 1H has Burning Weapon. There's plenty of strats that can be used with multiple people involved.

1P/2P Would be separate leaderboards obviously. It wouldn't make sense to clump both 1P & 2P together. In regards to "Item Share", up to the players to use their brain on that one. ;) Obviously Round Robbin is better of the 2.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Oooh stacking talents with multiple players sounds interesting, and would open up a huge realm of possibilities.
In regards to "Item Share", up to the players to use their brain on that one.

Oh I see, as a moderator you have to enforce the rules but you don't have to give the recommendations, you cheeky bugger you :p

JamesKT

Boar
Another reason why I brought up 1H & 2H is that carrots could be coordinated early on by having the stack of carrots from 2H being dropped to 1H. 2P can also speed up some puzzle segments such as the ice log puzzle.

JamesKT

Boar
...Addendum. All characters obviously regardless of 1P/2P must be Freshly Made Level 1 Characters. I guess Mentorship isn't a Factor.

JamesKT

Boar
...It's come to my attention that I might not even need to make a third shopping trip if I get Fall's Edge. With the change on how I handle the 3 Season Gauntlet room(From Always Summer to Always Autumn) before the Ice Log puzzle to manipulate Autumn Knight spawn frequency, I could get enough Armor Scraps to MAKE Armor of Autumn which just dwarfs Brawler Plate and is ONE Def less than Chainmail.

I need to start paying attention to the drops during Seasonne Temple more to see how many Armor Scraps I get! :D

JamesKT

Boar
It's been awhile since anything was posted but still, I've streamed a run regarding the new content but will not be submitted for obvious reasons(Frontline). Regardless, this run was actually awesome so enjoy it.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
That gold split tho. GG :naniva:

As for the new overlay, you did a good job on it, but I'm personally not a huge fan of indented games. I like it taking up as much of the screen as possible, how you had it before. Anyway, I don't turn up for many of your streams so it shouldn't be much of a worry :p

JamesKT

Boar
That gold split tho. GG :naniva:

As for the new overlay, you did a good job on it, but I'm personally not a huge fan of indented games. I like it taking up as much of the screen as possible, how you had it before. Anyway, I don't turn up for many of your streams so it shouldn't be much of a worry :p
Honestly it felt clunky just having it like as it was and the splits taking up part of the game screen. At this this way, everything is seen. As a bonus, I can remove the splits to have twitch chat in it's place

JamesKT

Boar
If anyone wants to find me a faster route through Tai Ming's second area, by all means. But this is what I have planned for the time being. Made one slight slip when making this video regarding the route itself towards the end but I do point it out in the video.

Own

- You don't have to break the statues to progress beyond the arena, unless you want drops from them. Not sure if breaking them is required for EXP?

- In the speedrun you avoid attacking the body sections of the giant worms that poke up from the earth. Why? You can do the same dmg vs them as the tail and head.

- You can perfect block the key toss to pick the key up immediately and leg it up out of the room. Failing perfect block means it goes through your shield.