Some polls about gaming ideas (if you have some time please answere)

What type of Walksystem do you prefer?

• Total voters

ark626

This shall be a thread where i put some polls for discussing what game mechanics you like.
I currently am curious because i would like to know what is popular right now and what different groups of people like.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
For RPGs or in general? I mean for a Jump'n'Run the 2D is far superior, while the SoG approach is better for RPGs.
Some Games like Castlevania or Metroid manage to Pull of the 2D, but that is because of genius Level Design. And of course the Gameplay highly encourages the exploration of said Levels.

ark626

i meant it for an Action Game with rpg components.
Sorry i should have mentioned that.
The basic thing is that the 2D Leveldesign needs a LOT more level on designing to get nice experience of exploring things
But it also reduces the work for Lots of sprites on a base.

Im currently tending towards the 2D thing cause i think itll get more out of the type of game im thinking of but i wanted to hear some other voices first.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Do you have any samples of art styles you're going with? What ambience is present in the game? Is it a dark or a light/happy looking game? I think it's more about what you want your game to look like that sets the decission here. That's my opinion atleast.

ark626

Sadly i only have ideas and some things picturing some mechanics i already scripted and ones i need to do.

I want it to be a coop game where the decisions of your behaviour influence the Present and the future.
The game shall take place in 5 Points of fictional history and depending on your behaviour in the past the future will look totally different.

Also you can travel in a restricted way in those 5 Points in time and redo some of the stuff to evaluate the outcome.

It should be more level dependant which atmosphere is displayed.
Meaning in a future where a race is the target of massive racism the atmosphere shall be very dark but also in a bright future it shall look more happy and peacfull

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Ah, i have already seen your draft. I think a 2D approach might work perfectly when you want to easily change the world.
I don't know how you exactly it will work, but in 2D you can, graphically, potray change easier and and block ways or make new ones faster.

GarlicJelly

I would say 2d style then. You could do stuff like traveling back into the past as moving left while moving further in time would be movement to the right (if you haven't played Braid and want some inspiration for time altering I highly recommend it. :p ). Some other ideas from the top of my head would be movement up could represent the rise of wealth and the hightech city would be high towers and rooftop jumping while destruction of the world could be movement downwards into tunnels and through ruins (walking on the filthy ground instead of soaring through the sky on top of the world. ;D ).

GarlicJelly

So are you looking at something like Gun Point movement or more like Pixel Piracy? Is it WASD and mouse or just clicking?

GarlicJelly

Let me know when you have some cool environments you can share. I'd love playing around with Pro Tools to make some music that could fit. (Mostly to practice but also because I love making stuff. :p )

ark626

Yeah would be nice i asked Andrew Riley about a cost estamination and im very tended to take his musical company as soon as we have a tech demo and are on Kickstarter or sth like that BUT
thats a long way till that happens.

Also if i have something to actually play around ill give a demo to some of the forum members of SoG which are interested