Steam Deck fails to upload to Cloud Save

Daladev

Green Slime
I've been attempting a full completion of Secrets of Grindea on the Steam Deck and recently despite all the critical errors, due to memory leakage on the Steam Deck's Linux OS, I've been able to play most of the game without issue as long as I'm careful about playtime and saving. Recently though I've come across the battle with the three cloaked figures at the top of the mountain and without fail in every attempt I've made it crashes within a couple of seconds.

The primary issue I'm dealing with comes when I attempt to play that same save on PC to fight that battle before returning to the Steam Deck. The Steam Deck states that the save has been uploaded to the Cloud and is now in sync, yet my PC despite having a fresh install of the game, fails to update to this save. Steam notes the save has not been uploaded to the cloud and the save is still out of date from the last play period. This is the only game I've run into so far with this issue and I'd like to figure out a solution whether I have to extract my save on the Deck and move it to the PC or the issue gets resolved from your end.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Hey!

We've finally got a Steam Deck on the way which I'm looking forward to do some testing and optimization of my own with. Until then, I'm afraid I can't do much troubleshooting for this!

According to this reddit post, you can probably find the save data in the following location on your Steam Deck:

~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/269770/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData

Zuros

Green Slime
Finally registered an account after lurking for a while just to reply to say that I’m also having this issue on my steam deck. At 99% completion and my last star on the map is pillar mountains.

I think it has to do with one of their attacks specifically. As soon as they jump and send their black ball swirl attack my game does this weird hybrid crash. Everything freezes for a good 30 seconds or so and then resumes for a few seconds to freeze again. My deck has also 100% crashed from the trick phasing minigames, but I think it has to do with a memory leak.

I haven’t tried on my PC yet but I will probably tomorrow. What a cool fight, can’t wait to tackle it.

*Edit
I jumped on my gaming PC and steam sync worked flawlessly, my save was intact and the fight was not buggy or freezing on my main computer.

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I've gotten the steam deck now and my experience was also that the sync worked! I want to switch us over to manual steam cloud sync at some point. We're currently using the automated sync settings in the Steam dev tools, and they seem to randomly bug out for some people. I'm not sure how exactly the manual implementation would improve things, but I'm hoping it does! It's not super high priority right now though.

But having the entire game playable with high stability on the Steam Deck on official release certainly is!

I welcome all experiences with performance on the Steam Deck. At some point I'm going to do a 100%-run on the Deck but even so, having more data on hand is always useful!

Zuros

Green Slime
I've gotten the steam deck now and my experience was also that the sync worked! I want to switch us over to manual steam cloud sync at some point. We're currently using the automated sync settings in the Steam dev tools, and they seem to randomly bug out for some people. I'm not sure how exactly the manual implementation would improve things, but I'm hoping it does! It's not super high priority right now though.

But having the entire game playable with high stability on the Steam Deck on official release certainly is!

I welcome all experiences with performance on the Steam Deck. At some point I'm going to do a 100%-run on the Deck but even so, having more data on hand is always useful!
Not trying to overtake the original thread, but it runs pretty well on the Steam Deck!

A summary of weird things/issues with it on deck for me, keeping in mind my storymode was .920a stable:
- trick phasing can cause that 100% crash, and what I mean by that, is no buttons work on the hardware. Can't get back into steam OS, you have to hold the power down to do a power cycle. I have a feeling maybe a memory leak with the animations, it happens after activating a plate.
- The Three Cloaked Figures boss was a major crashing point for me and the original thread. What's weird though is it didn't crash the first time i fought them (and got whipped by them). It's later in the game when I was like 98% complete when I couldn't get my deck to not-crash on it.
- A few long loading screens on major cities, assume it's writing data. To be more specific, instead of the 2-5 second timer it's maybe 10-15 seconds. Nothing major really.
- Launching the game seems to take quite a long time, upwards of 2-3 minutes. Unsure if it's just reading data or something, the part where clouds are on screen and you can see the "Thanks to:" section.
- If you pause and turn the deck off and resume later it feels a little odd, not sure how to describe that. I think it's a deck-specific thing, not a SoG thing if i'm honest.
- In the options menu, it only displays mouse/keyboard settings for controls. (Maybe a gamepad section could help new players)
- The only time I've personally had a steam sync issue was maybe two days ago when I upgraded to the .949a frontline edition, and my gaming machine was "out of sync" because it was still on the .920a stable.

I'm not sure if there's a personal messages section on this forum, so I don't crash on the original thread. If you have any other questions, I just ran through story mode to 100% on the deck. Love your work man! Realizing Vilya, Teddy, and Freddy and the 'black ferrets' were the developers... mind blowing. haha