The 'kana' problem in key setting

Hmm... I'm using the Korean patch mod. But when I go into the key setting and try to change the key, it changes to the word 'kana' and I can't change it anymore.

I'm assuming this is a common error when setting keys on Korean (or japanese, chinese, any other heavy glyph languages)-English keyboards.

welp, this is why i died when i first tried the ghost ship in arcade mode. :\

Is there a way to change the key by directly editing configuration files? Or is there an option like replace with default setting in key settings?

PS: There seems to be a problem with the game called Terraria, where kana appears when some users try to set the key. It might help you find a solution.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Hey!

Huh, yeah that sucks. XNA must be grabbing some modifier from the keyboard instead of the correct underlying key!

I'm assuming this is a common error when setting keys on Korean (or japanese, chinese, any other heavy glyph languages)-English keyboards.

Definitely could be. I wonder if I can simulate one of these keyboards to do some testing, or if I had to get a physical one!

Is there a way to change the key by directly editing configuration files? Or is there an option like replace with default setting in key settings?

In the config file (found in "%APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea/config.txt") you can change the key bindings in the file, but it uses the underlying XNA enumeration of keys, making it very impractical.

To change it back to standard, you can either delete the config file, or go into it and replace the "Key Bidnings" section with the text below:

Key Bindings

Hello, thanks for the quick reply!

Actually, I'd like to reproduce the situation myself and make a gif, but I can't afford to do that because I'm a little far from home. I think it will be possible in about two weeks, and I will upload a picture. At that time, I think I can help more actively.

I've seen several sites that simulate a Korean keyboard, but I'm not sure if that will apply in-game. If you want to try it, search 'korean keyboard' in Google.

The good news is that the config file did exist. I have forwarded this to a Korean player who was experiencing the issue. Thanks again!

(The final dungeon looks awesome, by the way. I'm looking forward to it! ;))

Hello again, I'm on vacation! :D

I tried to reproduce the problem described above, but this time it worked. Hmm...

In the past, when the problem occurred, I accidentally changed the action/attack key from z to kana, and as soon as I pressed kana (Korean-English conversion key) to change it again, it was immediately set back to kana, so it was impossible to change.

But that didn't happen anymore, and instead I was able to change to another key (including the Ctrl key combination) with a single press of the kana key.

So, yeah... I think the problem is solved. If there are additional problems next time, I will report them. Thank you.