Thinking of doing some recording... What would people like to see?

Pick as many as you'd like... all of them if you want :P

• In-depth tips n' tricks let's play

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Skill builds for story mode and how to use them

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Arcade fails

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Helpful forum stuff

• Individual skill how-to's

• Farming strats

• Trick shots and combos

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Good news: I got round to recording!
Bad news: Lightworks doesn't want to work... :(
I've had to resort to Windows Movie Maker for the time being, and it works fine for this video (which I'll post here once it's uploaded) although I doubt it'll be acceptable for the more edited videos. Also it doesn't do 60fps! I need to see if I can get Lightworks working again. It's so much easier to use, as long as it doesn't screw up my video files when it imports them >_<

[Edit]: Got it working! 60fps videos all round!

Last edited:

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
That's really a great video (and super ambitious, I like it)! It's definitely hilarious to watch all those Presents go crazy and fill the room with bombs :D

As for your questions!!

Question 1 (Facecam): Those are great, if you're comfortable with it :D

I don't think there were any other questions...! Looking forward to the next video :)

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Haha, what a neat little video! Great commentary :D

And that silky radio voice! You could totally get away with a Total Biscuit impersonation.

Between your voice, sense of humor and suitcase of ideas I think you have a good shot at building up a good following :D

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
The sound quality isn't great. If you have the possibility to EQ your voice you should try to boost +3dB on 4kHz and try cutting 400-500Hz by about -6dB. That should bring out some more clarity in your voice. Not 100% sure about the amount for the bass cut since you have a fairly deep voice. :)

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
If I have any idea what you're saying, I believe I can change a few of those things around with Lightworks, but I'm no expert, so I'll see what I can do :)

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
I think that might not be necessary. It sounds as if you need a popfilter. Something that let's your voice pass the mic but not the air from your mouth.
Something like a piece of cloth if you have a table mic, or some special foam for headsets.
Or if you have a headset, you could move the mic just a little bit out of the way from the mouth.
podcast-popschutz.gif

hr-09d_hr-kom_1.jpg

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
As I was saying in the video, I just need to keep my distance. I already have one of those foam thingys, but I'm practically making out with my mic, so it doesn't have much effect. If I keep the distance it comes into effect and removes all those P's B's and T's

[Edit]: And yes I need to make out with my mic otherwise it's not loud enough, even when I've put the settings up as high as they go:

mic.png

Own

Y'know, in hindsight, I think I only really suggested that ridiculously, stupidly hard hard mode run to see if someone could prove that many of the bosses in Story Mode on Hard could be beaten without taking any damage relying purely on swordfighting and shielding. Since that's what a setup like this would require.

I suppose it wouldn't be horrible if you could buy whatever equipment you wanted. There's a fair difference between "Ridiculous maxed Shadowclone build", "Ridiculously weak limitations build" and "Actually being able to do semi-tolerable damage / bosses not taking hours."

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Y'know, in hindsight, I think I only really suggested that ridiculously, stupidly hard hard mode run to see if someone could prove that many of the bosses in Story Mode on Hard could be beaten without taking any damage relying purely on swordfighting and shielding.
So you're asking me to spend hours finding the sweet-spots in GUN-D4M and Phaseman, along with perfect dodging in Winter?

I've got nothing else to do. *lowers shades* Let's do this.

Then you actually might benefit from a dedicated soundcard (or a better headset)
I reckon a better mic. Something finally worth spending some of my money on :3

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
So you're asking me to spend hours finding the sweet-spots in GUN-D4M and Phaseman, along with perfect dodging in Winter?

I've got nothing else to do. *lowers shades* Let's do this.

I reckon a better mic. Something finally worth spending some of my money on :3
The Electro voice RE20 is a good microphone for recording speach. It's a little bit pricey and you would need a way to connect an XLR cable to your computer (some kind of interface) which would also cost money, but to be honest I think your mic is fine. You could easily get away with the right amount of EQ and compression. :)

IHeartPie

Halloweed
The easiest (and free!) way to fix a lot of your commentary audio quality is via Audacity. Tell your recording software to not record your voice, then use Audacity to record your mic. Afterwards, use compressor and normalizer to fix a lot of the background noise to voice ratio [makes your voice more crisp without you needing to max out your mic input]. You may also do noise removal as well. After that, export it, then import to your editing software.

This offers you many degrees of freedom. First, it lets you tweak the voice input level on audacity [Don't max it out on microphone options or you'll get that blown out sound!]. Second, it lets you edit the audio using powerful audio-specific options right on audacity [Equalizer, compressor, etc]. Third, it gives you a separate audio track for your to edit and work with [ie, lower game music, raise your voice, etc].

Hope this helps!