Translation Discovery - new annoying feature for non-English Steam users!

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Hey translators!

A lot of you are doing a great job with your translations, and already have a large number of subscribers, but I'm considering a feature which might be useful for players interested in playing with translations but doesn't know they can!

What I'm talking about is a one-time message for people who are running Steam in a language with at least one active translation. It would look something like this:

ostost.png

Choosing "Yes" here would bring the player to the translation browser, and the game will search for translations automatically.

Now, since this message will be shown before they've downloaded your translations, I'm here to request a translated version of the above text from you guys! (and potential feedback about the feature itself - maybe some people will be annoyed?)

The text: "While this game has not been officially* translated into Swedish, there is at least one fan-made translation available on Steam Workshop! Would you like to browse for translations now?"

And, as KoBeWi silently pointed out, I need "Yes" and "No" as well :D

*Note: official in this case means "from the game creator", in case your language doesn't have a direct translation of that word!

Don't worry about fonts and stuff for non-latin alphabets - I'll make images of each text instead of using the XNA spritefonts.

Anyways, I thought we could do a test run with some of the translations made by our own power rangers from the forum, and see how it goes!

Pinging:

@SilasColdfire - German
@TsReaper - Chinese
@Paulo Soares - Brazilian Portuguese
@KoBeWi - Polish
@res7less - Russian
@Brom - Italian
@Coldnight - Spanish
@Skaaj / @D4rk56 - French

Last edited:

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
"Chociaż ta gra nie jest oficjalnie przetłumaczona na język polski, jest przynajmniej jedno fanowskie tłumaczenie, dostępne w Warsztacie Steam! Czy chcesz przejrzeć tłumaczenia teraz?"
Tak/Nie

res7less

Jumpkin
Sounds great! On what basis is the displayed language chosen when you show it the first time? Steam language or OS or some other source? Just curious.

Also, here's the translation:

"Хотя и нет официального перевода игры на Русский, обязательно существует минимум один любительский перевод в Мастерской Steam! Желаете просмотреть доступные переводы?"
Да / Нет

PS: Don't mean to lecture you, but in english it should say "[...] there is at least one fan that made the translation [...]" :p

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
PS: Don't mean to lecture you, but in english it should say "[...] there is at least one fan that made the translation [...]" :p
That's why you should use dashes. He probably meant "fan-made".

I encountered it many times during translating the in-game texts, where there was a missing dash between two words, and I made a list that I'm going to post in the spelling mistakes thread. Unfortunately, it's not a full list, because I discovered it accidentally when I couldn't find a translation for a word.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Sounds great! On what basis is the displayed language chosen when you show it the first time? Steam language or OS or some other source? Just curious.

Steam language!

He probably meant "fan-made".

Yep! I was actually under the opposite impression: that I use hyphenation too much! I thought they weren't very common in English? As a Swede, maybe I've got the "English words are almost always written apart" drilled so much that I underdo it :p

(In Swedish, we compress multiple words into one all the time)

Looking forward to the dashing list of missing dashes!

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
That's why you should use dashes. He probably meant "fan-made".

It's fine, as far as I'm concerned. The lack of spelling, overuse of abbreviation and relatively poor tuition in how to write in our native language (teachers just assume we know it perfectly at some point) that is prevalent among far too many people I know and many people in this country (the UK, most likely being similar in America) is ridiculous. It's technically grammatically correct to put the dashes in, but I still don't know apostrophes inside out! xD I'm surprised that it's not your first language for any of you, yet your pointing out things we should know like the backs of our hands :D

I thought they weren't very common in English?

For the same reasons, most native speakers wouldn't put them in anyway :p

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Also, I swear Teddy knows more English than I do. There's been times I've had to look up words on Google because I don't understand them xD

TsReaper

Boar
本游戏虽然没有官方的中文翻译,但是已经有玩家在Steam创意工坊中上传了自制的翻译。您现在是否需要查看翻译?
是/否

Nice feature! Many people have been asking me how to download and install the translation. Will this message still pop out if the player has already downloaded a translation?

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
German - "Obwohl es für dieses Spiel noch keine offizielle Übersetzung ins Deutsche gibt, existiert mindestens eine von Fans erstellte Übersetzung im Steam Workshop! Möchtest du mal einen Blick auf die Übersetzungen werfen?"
"Ja - Nein"

Jasquan

Green Slime
"Selvom dette spil ikke officielt er blevet oversat til dansk, er der mindst én uofficiel oversættelse tilgængelig på Steam Workshop! Vil du gennemse oversættelserne nu?" and "Ja" (yes) "Nej" (no) for Danish. Admittedly there's no unofficial translation available in Danish, but eh.
EDIT: it's a bit of a direct translation too, some wording could be changed to match the Swedish message

Arkelia

Green Slime
Hi there !
First post on those forums... But I'm helping on the french translation initiated by Skaaj et D4rk56 :)
So here is the french translation of the snippet :

Le jeu n'est pas officiellement traduit en Français. Cependant, il existe au moins une traduction faite par les fans sur le Workshop de Steam ! Souhaitez vous voir les traductions disponibles ?
Oui / Non

Brom

Green Slime
"Anche se questo gioco non ha una traduzione ufficiale in Italiano, sullo Steam Workshop è presente almeno una traduzione amatoriale! Vuoi dare un'occhiata a quali traduzioni sono disponibili?"

Sì/No

There you go! :D

...and while I'm at it: mad props to you guys (and, well, gal, right?) for the effort you're putting in making fan-made translations easier both to make (for us translators, with your translation suite) and to use (for players, with your easy-to-access ingame implementation of the Steam Workshop, and now this). I've been working on a few fan-made localizations of various indie games over the last year and even when I've had dev support, nothing they did ever came close to this. With Secrets of Grindea I can just sit down, write what I have to write, check instantly if it's working as it should, all without managing a hundreds different files or dealing with encoding issues or having to figuring out why that json file now isn't working. And on top of that, your game is also incredibly great! So, thank you from the bottom of my heart - and I mean it.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
mad props to you guys (and, well, gal, right?) for the effort you're putting in making fan-made translations easier

We're super grateful to you guys, too, for smashing the language barrier! The least we could do is try to offload as much of the annoyances as we can (I'm not yet 100 % satisfied with the tools, but I have to work on the game!) :D

Next patch will also include a "feature" that allows a user to subscribe to a translation from the Steam webpage (or client), and have it automatically applied next time they start the game. I would've implemented it sooner, but I actually didn't think about it until just recently when testing this!

With these two new features, hopefully almost all end-user hassle will be eliminated!

Coldnight

Green Slime
Hello and thank you for pinging me!

I think I would translate that into:

"Aunque este juego no ha sido traducido oficialmente* al Español, hay al menos una traducción no-oficial disponible en la Steam Workshop. ¿Quieres echar un vistazo ahora?"

Yes: Sí (with an accent mark)
No: No

Thank you guys for your hard work! Amazing as always :)

Skaaj

Green Slime
Hi Teddy !

Great idea ! I'm sure that there's people who don't know about translation.

What could also be great for the game (and the player) is to have the info about translation displayed on the Steam Store page as well. I think some player don't buy the game because they don't see support for their native language.

@Arkelia is also working on the French translation with @D4rk56 and me. Her translation of the snippet is good, you can use it.
(I'm not yet 100 % satisfied with the tools, but I have to work on the game!)
You could open a thread to gather suggestion for the tools. I'm 100% sure you'll get great ideas !

Last edited:
German - "Obwohl es für dieses Spiel noch keine offizielle Übersetzung ins Deutsche gibt, existiert mindestens eine von Fans erstellte Übersetzung im Steam Workshop! Möchtest du mal einen Blick auf die Übersetzungen werfen?"
"Ja - Nein"
Uh-huh, he beat me too it ;P

Paulo Soares

Green Slime
Great feature. I'm sorry for replying late. My mobo died a few weeks ago and I had to buy a new one. Well, it's a great feature for those who does not have downloaded translations, in Portuguese-Brazil it goes like this:

Singular form: Enquanto não existe uma tradução oficial na língua português-brasil, existe uma tradução feita por um fã no nosso Workshop! Gostaria de procurar uma tradução agora mesmo?

Plural form:Enquanto não existem traduções oficiais na língua português-brasil, existem traduções feitas por fãs no nosso Workshop! Gostaria de procurar traduções agora mesmo?

Indeed, it would be great, and avoid questions and people asking for tutorials.

Thank you for pinging me in here, so honored to be part of this amazing project!