Vilya's Work-blog! (aka Pixel Ferrets behind the scenes)

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I could say I'm a fan of this new boss :naniva: Looks great, although you might need some prevention that pulls you back into the circle after you've taken damage, or you could just sit outside and use some ranged magic to smack her face in. It could be as simple as - you take damage, she pulls you back in again. Or in case anyone fits through a gap - make anything that isn't inside that circle make you take damage.

As long as there's no gale force winds (outta nowhere!) providing backup support I'll be happy. Is this gonna be another "boss attacks you for a while then you get a short window to screw it over as quickly as possible" like the Winter and GUN-D4M? I guess that's what to expect from Grindea bosses by now.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Also, nice to see that the group of you are holding each other up :D I've seen far too many groups of people intend to do stuff and then never put proper planning in place and it all falls to bits very quickly. I reckon if I had anyone else working on the game I'm making I'd probably put a bit more effort in :p

Own

If you guys really do want community boss attack suggestions, I can think of an appropriate one for the area

The Pendulum Swing

upload_2016-4-19_3-53-26.png

A wall of fans that swing back and forth like the pendulum of a grandfather clock. Whenever the fans go horizontally left or right of the boss, the old gap closes and a different fan vanishes. Swings back and forth 3-4 times?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Looks great, although you might need some prevention that pulls you back into the circle after you've taken damage, or you could just sit outside and use some ranged magic to smack her face in.

That's already in place - she summons everyone inside the circle, and then colliders are placed at the edges of it, so there's no escape!

The Pendulum Swing

I like it, and according to the forum software, it seems Fred and Vilya like it as well! That's how decisions are made! :naniva:

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
You could always reverse the sequence where the fans go inwards with a gap in the circle, and have them going outwards instead - in case you wanted something else for some more variety :p

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I'll be disappointed if the map is working in square sections like that :( It would be nice to see some curves of the land, although it requires a bit more work.

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
I'll be disappointed if the map is working in square sections like that :( It would be nice to see some curves of the land, although it requires a bit more work.
It should become more curvy once everything is in place! When working on the areas they typically go through several states of polish, and giving the "islands" a more organic look is scheduled to happen once everything is in place (to avoid adding variations where they would end up being covered by props anyway - I think I mentioned the reasoning in an earlier post). But yeah the base shape will still be square, just less straight and same-same-y ;D

Own

I just realized, the attack I suggested makes more of a large fan instead of a pendulum swing. Pendulums only sway left to right, they don't go completely horizontal...

Though... a large fan formation still fits the boss just fine. :D

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Well, technically a pendulum can go horizontal, there's just rarely any need of it to do so. It could do a swing of 359 degrees both ways and still be a pendulum :p A pendulum is really a weight attached to a point, allowed to swing freely.

Own

Is there a co-op only attack for the fan boss? If not, a Curse of Fans could be interesting. Put 1-4 fans circling around each character present for a short time, an anti-grouping attacking.

Own

More Boss Attacks!

http://vilyaroo.blogspot.se/2016/04/more-boss-prototyping.html

Dang, I think this may very well be the boss with the largest number of attack patterns... and it's not even the main boss of the dungeon? Then again, people die more on Hydra than Winter, so that's not unexpected.

She's going to be hell in Arcade, I just know it. :D This boss looks amazing.

The fan / pendulum swing looks cool, but easy. I assume it's faster on Hard Mode, or when she's low on HP? Or it would be if she floated around the area while the pendulum swung, so it requires more to dodge and attack her than walking up / down.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
One thing to make the pendulum more of a puzzle would be keep it moving at that speed, but have two come in. Basically take a pendulum with the same sized gap and split half of the fans randomly either side, so when they combine in the middle, there's only one spot in which you're safe. Alternatively you could try to dodge at the sides rather than directly below her, and by doing so fit through each swing separately :D

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
The fan / pendulum swing looks cool, but easy. I assume it's faster on Hard Mode, or when she's low on HP? Or it would be if she floated around the area while the pendulum swung, so it requires more to dodge and attack her than walking up / down.

Yeah you definitely can't do that in hard (I learned the hard way) :D

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
A close pet is a very important thing indeed, no one would blame you for looking after it.
Agreed - I doubt would have a strong argument to prove otherwise. Losing a close pet is like losing a relative. Take all the time off you need. All the best to you :(

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
Thanks guys!! We got back home yesterday and Link (the cat) is somewhat stable for now. He is still super weak, but he has been improving a little with the medicine so we hope it will continue working, we're going back in 2 weeks to make sure he's still on the right track! So, I'm getting back to work ASAP and hopefully he will continue to get better and won't give us another scare :)