[Visual/Gameplay] Static Touch colouring/description

TheWhite

Green Slime
I've been playing around a bit with the Static Touch air spell and loving it, very fun and makes a nice mixed phys/magic spellblade warrior build. Looking at the in game "more info" text I noticed that it says "For every 2 activations, the spell will change color and become stronger... If you take damage, or don't do anything for a while, the cubes will power down". Having used it quite a bit, I have noticed absolutely zero difference in colour between different numbers of casts. Also, I don't really see a difference in damage (just went out and tested it vs boars and, at my level, a single cast variant did between 40 and 50 damage and casting it multiple times between hits did xactly the same range of damage). I'm not sure what is wrong here but something is.

It could be that my eyes aren't seeing the colour change (I'm quite colourblind), in which case the colours being used need to be looked at again.
The damage also might be bugged and not increasing or just not being scaled at a noticeable level (this character does only have 60 mDMG right now), in which case the code may need looking at or it might just be a minor balance tweak.

On the other hand, it could jut be that the skill description is wrong for the current iteration of the skill and that all that more casts do is add more charges without doing anything to the damage or colour of the skill, in which case the skill description just need to be changed slightly at some point.

In any case, none of this seems particularly game breaking right now but at least one thing in this skill wrong, either the colour choices suck, the skill isn't doing what it is meant to or the description is wrong. This is on the current Steam Frontline version (0.601a) if that makes any difference.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
It might be that the description isn't super clear and that you misinterpreted it!

By "activations" it means when you hit an enemy and a cube launches! So for every two cubes that has been launched (or enemies killed if you one shot them), the cubes will change color and also start spinning faster. The faster they spin, the more damage they do, and the more frequently they can activate!

With this information, where do you feel the lack of clarity lies?

TheWhite

Green Slime
Ok, with that information and some new testing, it does seem that the skill is working as intended. After hitting a few things in a row, the damage did indeed increase at the expected times and spin speed did increase similarly. I can definitely say now that the colour changes are not particularly clear, I can see no visible change between stage one and two and can only see a difference between stage two and three if I am leaning forward and staring directly at the cubes. This is likely due to my colourblindess but given than somewhere in the vicinity of 1 in 3 men are colourblind to some extent it is always something that I feel needs more attention in games., nothing is more frustrating to me that having something ingame represented by colour changes and have those changes be literally invisible to me.

As to clarity in the text description, to me, the activation of a skill is when I press the button. For example, I would say that the activation of meteor occurs when the button is pressed rather than when it lands. I feel like wording something along the lines of "Every two attacks with this skill active will cause the spell to power up and change color" would fix up the clarity issue.

On the bright side, this has moved the issue completely out of the 'bug fix' category and into the 'minor visual and wording' category