Youtuber consistently crashes upon entering Pumpkin Woods.

Terminally Nerdy

Green Slime
Considering I recorded that video last night I havent had a chance. It had happened once prior to that and I reinstalled.

As far as my system goes, its nothing special. i7 4770k 3.5 ghz CPU, GTX 970, 16gb DDR3 RAM, and Win 10 with the latest updates.

Honestly, yea I don't think folks should get it at least not yet, especially if there are bugs *shrug* Thats my opinion though of course. I actually have a full written review pending for a website I write for as well, but hey, its an EA game, shit happens. It prolly didn't help that I was ill last night either.

Own

Hey! :D The game has about 100,000 owners according to SteamSpy, and Pumpkin Woods is one of the first areas in the game, so the fact that no one has reported that in the past year or two makes it a very confusing bug. You unfortunately seem to have a unique experience. :( The normal game is supposed to be more or less bug free, while we find all the bugs on the Frontline version before it goes public.

If I had to wager a guess, it could be due to the special effect in Pumpkin Woods that makes the edges of the screen waver. I remember the Pumpkin King's bat attack made my game crash a year ago, until I ran Windows Update to update... something or another. But then the devs changed how that attack worked so it wouldn't crash with outdated updates regardless.

If it's not the screen-wavering effect, maybe the lighting...? Or something to do with Windows 10?

@Teddy where would he find an error report at?

Terminally Nerdy

Green Slime
Its entirely possible and do point that out in my written review. I am still trying to figure out how the hell the video was even found. Its not like I have a big fanbase or anything 0_o

I want to like the game, frankly, but this bug pissed me off, and I am perfectly willing to revisit it down the road assuming things get more stable.

I also have issues recommending a game that is not complete story wise too. But I don't mention that in the vid :p Opinions are like buttholes as they say, everyones got one lol

Own

Yeah, I wouldn't reccomend people buy it if they want a story experience either. The game is only about 60% done at the moment, so there's still a ways to go. It currently ends about 1/3 of the way through the third temple, out of five planned temples. That's probably a good warning to put in your review.

I just thought the 'avoid due to crash' thing was weird since I couldn't find a similar bug anywhere, and I couldn't recreate it. :confused: Hopefully the devs get it sorted soon. :)

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
I am still trying to figure out how the hell the video was even found. Its not like I have a big fanbase or anything
I'm pretty sure Own watches pretty much everything he can find about the game. Stick "Secrets of Grindea" or even "Grindea" in your title, description or tags and he's bound to find it. Right Own? :p

res7less

Jumpkin
Considering the game's currently within the Early Access phase, it's kind of early to recommend or not recommend it to anyone because of a bug. Objectively, it's in a much better condition polishing-wise than many big AAA games are released in nowadays (*takes a subtle glance at Ubisoft*). Sure, an occassional bug slips through here and there, but in 95% of the time they are not gamebreaking, so, as Own pointed out, this one has got to be quite a rarity. Perhaps I should congratulate you on the successful rare find as a grindean startup Collector ;)

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Bugs that happen to 0.001 % of players are indeed rather tough to catch :D

Windows hard crashes are recorded with error messages in the Event Viewer. You can open it up by bringing up the Windows start menu and typing eventvwr. Then go into Windows Logs->Application and look for errors related to Secrets of Grindea! The .NET Runtime errors are most useful.

Terminally Nerdy

Green Slime
Here is what I got for ya.

Faulting application name: Secrets Of Grindea.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5739edea
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.10586.306, time stamp: 0x571afb9a
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000bdae8
Faulting process id: 0x140c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1d8a5b2492e03
Faulting application path: E:\Game Client Installs and Files\Steam\steamapps\common\SecretsOfGrindea\Secrets Of Grindea.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: b2e37c84-bd9c-46e3-8f8e-7d690ae75987
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

----

Application: Secrets Of Grindea.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.TitleContainer.OpenStream(System.String)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.OpenStream(System.String)

Exception Info: Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.String, System.Action`1<System.IDisposable>)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Load[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.String)
at SoG.DynamicEnvironmentCodex.GetObjectInstance(ObjectTypes)
at SoG.Game1._EntityMaster_AddDynamicEnvironment(UInt16, ObjectTypes, Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Vector2, Single, Int32)
at SoG.Game1._EntityMaster_AddDynamicEnvironment(ObjectTypes, Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Vector2)
at SoG.Game1._LevelLoading_DoStuff(ZoneEnum, Boolean)
at SoG.Game1._Level_Load(SoG.LevelBlueprint, Boolean)
at SoG.Game1.__Level_BeginLoadThread()
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

-----

Faulting application name: Secrets Of Grindea.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5739edea
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.10586.306, time stamp: 0x571afb9a
Faulting process id: 0x289c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1d8a4f5d92942
Faulting application path: E:\Game Client Installs and Files\Steam\steamapps\common\SecretsOfGrindea\Secrets Of Grindea.exe
Report Id: fa566b0a-4709-4fc7-8020-fe3d5bc53e57

-----

at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.ReadAsset[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.String, System.Action`1<System.IDisposable>)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentManager.Load[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.String)
at SoG.Game1._EntityMaster_AddDynamicEnvironment(UInt16, ObjectTypes, Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Vector2, Single, Int32)
at SoG.Game1._EntityMaster_AddDynamicEnvironment(ObjectTypes, Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Vector2)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)

-----

Faulting process id: 0x3308
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1d8a417d222d5
Report Id: 5820ad6a-51f2-4e05-a775-0a0525f5c1f3

-----

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Looks like it tries to open a file that it can't find!

Have you tried restarting Steam and then verifying the game's cache? (Right click on game in library, select properties, go to Local Files and then click Verify Integrity of Game Cache)

Own

I think I saw him try to verify the integrity in the video, but another game was open so Steam wouldn't. Maybe it'll work now. :D

How common is it that Steam fails to send all relevant files, though? Odd. I've heard of antivirus blocking a file or two before with false flags.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
How common is it that Steam fails to send all relevant files, though? Odd. I've heard of antivirus blocking a file or two before with false flags.

It can be caused by a lot of things, like an iffy hard drive, faulty memory, shitty network and probably also black magic! Verifying the Steam cache is, in my experience on the support end, the second most common solution to crash issues. I've definitely seen it a lot, and actually had to do it myself once (with Path of Exile iirc)!

Having to manually install XNA is the most common, though.