8,000-10,000 SoG owners on Steam, according to SteamSpy.

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
Unfortunately, they aren't super reliable, at least not for us or yet (which is a shame, since all the spying I've done seems rather unreliable now).. The positive news is that the real number is higher. :D

(Also keep in mind that it's total owners, not new owners, so the vast majority comes from old sales on our site)

Reactions: Own

TheSpaniard

Green Slime
I bought it and "convinced" two other people to buy the game . . . I'm sure I'll do some more coerc-convincing in the near future, muwhahaha. May even buy an extra copy or two , great game!

Vilya

Developer
Staff member
The numbers are much closer to the truth now! Perhaps it just needed some time before it could make a proper estimate :)

Also, in regards to advertising, I've been creating a list of people covering the game, and whether they asked us for keys, we gave them keys randomly, or they covered the game without us being in touch at all. Once the game is released, it will be interesting to see how many % of the keys we send out randomly actually result in coverage. So far, it's a ridiculously low number, but then again, we only sent out mails like that a year ago for pre-orders, before the game was officially available on Steam, so maybe we'd have greater success today.

For now though, it seems our time (and by extension, money) is much better spent actually working on the game and letting our awesome playerbase do the rest with the power of word of mouth! :D

Own

I was hyped for Wanderlust Adventures for the longest time, thinking that it would be a direct competitor for Secrets of Grindea. They both occupy the same genres, the same multiplayer, the same homages to the same older games.

The difference is, Wanderlust Adventures is a complete game. It boasts 65 enemies, 10 bosses and 8 mini-bosses, along with a completely randomly generated world. It has 4-8 character classes.

It's currently sitting at 70% on Steam with all the front page reviews being negative. It has 13,000~ sales.

Secrets of Grindea has 10 bosses, 3 mini-bosses (+2 unique to Arcade), around 30 enemies and is extremely incomplete.

It's sitting at 98% on Steam with 35,000~ sales.

I vastly overestimated the marketing power of Chucklefish or something is seriously wrong with Wanderlust Adventures. What went so wrong with W:A compared to SoG? That's really interesting to me.

Is it the art style, the combat system, the lack of story, the choice to go for a Hoard Mode (coloseum) for co-op replayability instead of a Roguelike Dungeon mode (arcade)?

Has anyone played both and can give some insight?

Milk

Green Slime
W:A's art just doesn't do it for me. Saw a few videos of it, and didn't even want to buy it. SoG just looked so pretty I had to go for it.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Has anyone played both and can give some insight?

Play some W:A and give us the insight! :D

I think W:A looks very fun, personally, but I haven't played it yet so I can't really weigh in with anything concrete.

Own

I was following it on and off for a while. W:A is on my wishlist to buy when it goes on sale. It's an interesting game and I want it, but not at $15. Especially with a co-op community as small as it's is. Add in the fact that there's no demo and, well... eh, I'm reluctant.

By account of all reviews, it's only really fun co-op and the community isn't there yet. When it does 33% or 50% off there'll be plenty to play with, I wager.

Edit: I also read that what you see is what you get, and there's no further content updates, DLC or anything else coming for it. Worrisome, considering that one of the most prominent complaints I see is it's short playtime.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
And it's #21 only because it has low number of reviews. The number one has 8 times more negatives and 16 times more positives. Grindea has a chance to get #1, but it's main flaw is that it's full of bugs and short of content (not really, but one may complain). If it gets more popularity in right time, it may boom with positive reviews and climb the ladder to it's deserved place :)

Own

It doesn't actually have a 'low' amount of reviews by Steam's requirements.

You need a minimum of 500 reviews to qualify for Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam. Getting 500+ reviews is a huge hurdle to getting your game to appear prominently in searches, especially if it's rating is 95%+.

The interesting thing is that it's the only Early Access game there, from what I can tell. EA are usually trashed hard in reviews.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Awww yee

Though I'll be the first to admit that the ranking system is honestly pretty weird due to the way they weigh (or don't weigh) the ratings! Left 4 Dead's 97 % at 100k votes should probably be chilling next to the Portals, which incidentally should be at #1 and #2 for the same reason.

As for our rating, I guess we'll see how it changes over time! I feel a lot of the Early Access resentment stems from people wondering why the game isn't done yet after a few months...

Own

If anyone cares about progress:

Owners: 63,670 ± 5,592

#15 top rated on Steam with 1,032 reviews, 98% positive.

Not too shabby.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Sadly the only people writing negative reviews are simply ones suffering from beta issues. They all want to play it, and no-one really has much of a problem with the core mechanics. I guess that just goes to say to any upcoming game devs - get your core mechanics to near perfection before you add any content :p

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
Sadly the only people writing negative reviews are simply ones suffering from beta issues.
I think that when the game is finished, all negative reviewers could be PMed in case they forgot about the game and maybe they'll update their reviews for positive ones :p