A fun puzzle boss idea?

Own

So, you enter or drop down into a room. There are 8 archways around the room, 2 on each wall, evenly spaced out like this so that none mirror each other:

U5Nwy7O.png

Except they're not perfectly spaced out there because I'm bad at MS Paint. There's a screen in the very middle of the floor that randomly generates numbers (or colors) 1-8. At first it generates only a single number, like 4. Then it generates two. Three. More and more the longer the fight goes on, like 53126487. When a sequence is listed, the archways around the room slam a long column all the way across the room to the opposing wall and retract extremely rapidly, dealing massive damage if the player is struck. After a brief pause the next number is the sequence is launched, continuing until it's through at which point a new number sequence is generated.

The idea behind this is to avoid move around avoiding getting smashed by the column's into the win condition is met. I can think of a few potential win conditions for a battle like this:

Survival - Survive until it a certain number of number generations. Then the machine in the middle glitches out and explodes, letting the player proceed.

Damage - Each of the launching columns has a healthbar associated with it. Deal enough damage to it while it launches across the room and it explodes, making the battle less complicated as time goes on and the number possibilities dwindle.

For added difficulty on Hard Mode, you could have pairs of numbers launch at the same time, further restricting room movement.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
This sounds fun. I think I get the concept and I wouldn't mind some crazy multi tasking boss where you have to constantly move and pay attention to something else than just the boss. GUND4M was a step in the right direction but it was still pretty easy on Hard because the only hard thing was the bullet hell part.

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
This sounds like a neat idea! What I personally like the most is the damage variant, where you'll have to dodge and then counter. There's a place in the game where such a boss would fit perfectly, although the display part of the puzzle would be tricky to get in there...

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if this did indeed make it into the game in some way, shape or form

Own

If it does get added, a way to add some extra fun to the battle would to make the tip of each column something unique. =)

One launches out with a cuckoo clock birdy, one with a fist, one with a ram or bull's head, one with a giant drill, etc.

Rokker

Halloweed
This is probably one of the best suggestions posted on the forums. I would truly love to try this event.

Own

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if this did indeed make it into the game in some way, shape or form

The last time I was fighting Winter / doing the Blizzard Dodge Arcade Challenge, I had this realization that I'd seen this somewhere before... :p

Is that where you decided to incorporate it? If so, fantastic, it's so much more brutal than I thought. Those blizzard pillars are cruel! :D

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Winter's winds actually just sort of "ended up like this" after a bunch of iterations where the winds came in different patterns and had different effects! Like with all inspiration, maybe it drew subconsciously from this thread's idea? It wasn't the boss I was thinking about, anyhow.

As for that boss, we've more or less greenlit it, but it won't appear until the fourth dungeon so it'll be a while until you can see that guy in action :D