A way to improve Phaseman for an arena challenge / memory room 'hard' challenge.

Own

Phaseman's one weakness is that he has many, many periods where you can safely just walk up to him and bash on him for a bit, due to his very scripted nature and non-targeted bullet explosions.

I think it might be interesting if, at the start of the battle, he launched a number of of little flying droids orbs similar to the green enemies in the Flying Fortress equal to the number of players present - but flying high enough to be immune to normal attacks. They could float in a circle around the battlefield rarely firing a single high-damage blast. Every time you perfect guard their shot, it immediately reverses course and his them to disable them for a short while. Or you could just let the shot break your shield if you can't perfect guard it, leaving you vulnerable for Phaseman's bullet explosions.

Or would this add too much difficulty? :p

ark626

I think phaseman should phaseshift randomly and and move more difficult in a challenge ;)
THose drones would also be nice :D

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
For a challenge version of Phaseman, preventing the good ol' "bash him till he drops"-strategy is a must for sure! I like your idea with some drone thingy, because we could possibly use that as a "trap" in Arcade Mode to make Flying Fortress rooms more varied and the blood pressure of our players unhealthy!

Either way, more focus on perfect guarding and dodging projectiles is something we'll certainly add to a "definite" Phaseman battle.

Own

because we could possibly use that as a "trap" in Arcade Mode to make Flying Fortress rooms more varied and the blood pressure of our players unhealthy!

Ooh. I hadn't considered traps. I can even think of some fitting each area.

Plains - Bushes in some rooms, can drop coins, regular bush drops, a chicken or a trap bomb that flashes for 1-2 seconds and then fires 8 shots off around it random directions.

Forest - Leafy patches rarely on the forest floor. Most when stepped on cause nothing to happen. Very rarely, rare enough for players not to not constantly be mindful of the leafy patches, stepping on a leaf pile will cause a ring of root spikes to burst up out of the ground around the player.

Flying Fortress - Rarely, little tiles jutting up in the fortress, similar to the Forest leafy patches. Most do nothing. Some spawn a hovering trap droid. Some spawn an immediate purple gravity circle around the player, similar to the purple crystal's.

Momizi

Rabby
well you could make it so he is flying when he is shooting the bullets so you cant hit him
then when he sweeps down to rest then you can hit him
Ooh. I hadn't considered traps. I can even think of some fitting each area.

Plains - Bushes in some rooms, can drop coins, regular bush drops, a chicken or a trap bomb that flashes for 1-2 seconds and then fires 8 shots off around it random directions.

Forest - Leafy patches rarely on the forest floor. Most when stepped on cause nothing to happen. Very rarely, rare enough for players not to not constantly be mindful of the leafy patches, stepping on a leaf pile will cause a ring of root spikes to burst up out of the ground around the player.

Flying Fortress - Rarely, little tiles jutting up in the fortress, similar to the Forest leafy patches. Most do nothing. Some spawn a hovering trap droid. Some spawn an immediate purple gravity circle around the player, similar to the purple crystal's.
oh god no please no
i like were it is now, i cant even get to the flying fortress
the pumpkin wood bosses always kill me

Last edited:

Aurophobia

Halloweed
I think a pitfall trap under leaves would be hilarious, but should only exist in multiplayer, and have the same mechanic revive goes thru (when the bar fills up, you successfully get your friend out of the hole.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
I think a pitfall trap under leaves would be hilarious, but should only exist in multiplayer, and have the same mechanic revive goes thru (when the bar fills up, you successfully get your friend out of the hole.
Are you able to attack from that hole? I mean meteor should still be possible right? You could pair it with slow dmg so there is a serious downside to being immobilized

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Yeah, as I see it Phaseman is just way to easy. There are so many good spots to stand when he attacks that it's almost impossible to die on this fight. Only time you can't attack him is when he's flying around in the middle and when he switches position and that's way to little IMO. There should be something stopping the player from just spamming attacks on him. The drone could be in Hard difficulty only to keep the casuals happy. :p