arcade mode crash. lost out on first catalyst unlock

Kanim

Green Slime
The game crashed, for the first time, EVER, AT THE %&* END (arcade mode). Had a GREAT run (arcade mode). formed the catalyst, then death told me to close my eyes/sleep, shoots something at me, game goes black and bam, game crashed, lost all progress. Thought this game had multiple back ups >.< guess those backups are for story mode only >.<. /rage. Also, the potion shop in the last lvl of arcade mode, the pirate ship, cant be accessed, at all. It literrally blocks the entrance/exit of the room to being placed too high up.

Ive attached what the error said. Im gonna try again, because that was such bs, being denied my first catalyst. Even have the screen shot on steam to prove it to boot. Updated my stupid graphic driver and ill try one more run (wont be as good as last, had 2 perfect guard pin's that are 100% made for the death fight and had the super lightning potion and made it there with 7 hp pots to spare).

Perhaps make it so, that if the game crashes at some point after you have defeated the final boss in aracade mode, that no matter what, steam will unlock the achieve/catalyst off the bat, instead of having to have death/what ever else does theer silly little "Lets do this then give him the achieve/item" thing.

Attachments

• Screenshot (152).png
    Screenshot (152).png
    80.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Kanim

Green Slime
Oh, and i did just switched to windowed full screen too. So ill see if the updated driver and change in windowed full screen will effect death this time..... (grumbles about being denied first catalyst/steam achieve after having done it legitly, continues to stare at steam SS of the victory)

Kanim

Green Slime
It crashed, a second time.......i cant beat/progress in arcade mode because i cant get catalysts due to game crashing after deaths monologue that he does after you beat him/is supposed to send you back to town/what ever it is he does after he says go to sleep and be ready for next challenge. The game crashes for me in both full screen and windowed full screen with an updated driver (i use a nvidia gforce gtx 980 titan 8 gig). Story mode ran fine. But death is just like " Oh im sorry, did you want this catalyst? Well guess what, NO SOUP FOR YOU"!

WTB character back up for arcade mode crashes will pay 2.99 CDN for the dlc.

Last edited:

Kanim

Green Slime
Since a picture is worth a thousand words as they say, here is what the potion shop in the pirate zone looked like that i could not access (and yes, i desummoned frosty, and i tried blinking past the flowers blocking me, had to zone out of this shop and give up on it

Attachments

• Screenshot (153).png
    Screenshot (153).png
    780.1 KB · Views: 4

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Thanks for these reports! Can you describe where in the cutscene the crash occurs? Is it before or after the Victory screen appears?

Kanim

Green Slime
I dont get a victory screen at all : ( i see the cut scene where death absorbs all my items, then he says something along the lines of "Now open your eyes and sleep" then i think he shots something at me (or at least that is what it looked like), then as soon as what ever it is that hits me, my screen just goes full black, as in complete black out, then it crash's to desktop and that error report prompt for your game pops up and says "The game got deaded, this might be caused by full screen mode sometimes, try updating your graphic driver and switching to windows mode".

The error report i screen shotted to you was from the first crash. The second time the game crashed at the exact same spot, same exact way, except i had my graphic driver updated and the game was in windowed full screen mode. The only real difference the second time was in the error prompt screen, instead of displaying the error message, an option to just send it to you guys directly poped up, so i hit that tab and then it closed its self.

Btw, crash aside, arcade mode is AMAZINGLY fun. If only it would not crash.

Kanim

Green Slime
The black out only lasts for like, 2-3 seconds before it crash's to desk top and the error prompt appears.

Kanim

Green Slime
Like i defeat death, the fight stops, he appears in the middle of the screen, i talk to him, he does his monologue, he takes my items, forms the catalyst, then says close (or open, i forget which) your eyes and sleep, hits me with some kind of projectile, and the screen goes full black after the projectile hits me, then it crash's to desktop and the error prompt appears.

And when i go back into the game/arcade mode, it's as if the run never happened. Got no credit for the run what so ever. No gold, No goddess trophies, no catalyst : (

Kanim

Green Slime
Tried finding a youtube vid so i could show you the exact moment of where it crash's for me but found legit NOTHING but out dated ancient vids.

That being said, ive never recorded/uploaded a vid before, does it have to be loaded up to youtube? or could i just record it using window's recording software and just attach it using the attach files here on the site? (although in all honesty i legit dont wanna do it a third time only to loose all my progress for that run again >.<)

Last edited:

Kanim

Green Slime
I know this most likely isint helpful but here is the exact error message that popped up after the game went black and crashed to desktop (this is from the first crash, as stated above, second crash happened with updated graphic drivers in windowed full screen mode). Ive decided i will try one more time to see if i can do a work around again at 2:30 pm EST roughly today maybe a bit sooner (it's 1:11 pm for me now so in a bit). My plan, is to play in normal full screen mode for the full run, beat death, then before i activate the cut scene, im going to switch the game into generic window mode (non full screen) and see if that does anything. I will also attempt to record it if i can get it to (window's free recording software is.... kinda crappy in all honesty, press the wrong thing or do something odd and it will stop recording).

Attachments

• Screenshot (151).png
    Screenshot (151).png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

Kanim

Green Slime
Whelp.......... live and learn i guess lol. So. Just finished my third go at it (third victory in a row). I "had" been recording using nvidia's recording software for the first time (since after doing some research, it seems fraps is no longer a thing and hasint been updated since, like, 2017 and does not really work with windows 10 or later). As it turns out, the video i recorded would have been 100% useless in the event the game crashed again, since the video cut out as soon as i switched to windowed mode non-full screen in order to watch the cut scene to see if my "work around" would work. (i switched to windowed mode before talking to bishop and starting the cut scene).

And I think it might have worked. I dont know if it was the fact it was in windowed mode non full screen or the fact it was in windowed mode non full screen, with nvidia experience running in the backround, me taking screen shots non stop during it using window's screenshot system (just incase the video cut out/didint work in windowed mode non full screen because i noticed when i switched the game to windowed mode non full screen, i could not access nvidia's recording software or access the ingame overlay). But at the end of the day, i was able to get this run to complete. Got the steam achievement, ended up back in town and everything registered.

I will try again and just switch it to window mode non full screen again and update this to see if that is all that is needed for this crash issue i have encountered that seems to be effecting only me (im guessing its something to do with my g-card since the one i got was not a big seller and was the end of the 900 line of geforce cards 10 years ago when they were a thing). I can live with just watching the cut scene's in window's mode for arcade mode, thats not an issue. As for the final boss on the hardest setting (i know who it is, dont wanna spoil), i am not sure how that cut scene would work or if i will have issues with it or if i can even get to it, but if im able too, ill switch that to window's mode shortly before landing the final blow on "it". Also had chrome open in the backround as well for the run (3 tabs open)

So thats all the info i have for now. Ill post again once ive done more "testing". The g-ard i am using is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti -6085 MB of display memory 8142 MB of shared memory according to dxdiag tool.

Kanim

Green Slime
OK so, 1 thing i forgot to add to the third try/success run/work around, was that for the first 2 crash's, in addition to them being in either full screen/window's full screen, i also had frosty and the cloud pet out. They may or may not have contributed. Dunno. Just covering my base's. Completed another run just now. This time, nothing active in the backround like there was for the third. Switched to window non full screen again, watched the cut scene (desummoned both pets before hand though just to be safe, but did have a tiny baby cloud pet from a pin floating about) and again, the work around of switching it to windowed non full screen just for the cut scene/victory screen/return to town worked.

So, for now, it seems switching to window non full screen mode gets around the crash. Arcade mode runs perfectly fine in full screen and windowed full screen otherwise (no issue's alt tabbing in arcade mode and the only place in story mode i experienced a game crash alt tabbing was in the arena, but that was solved by just not alt tabbing while in the arena lol). It's just the transition that happens after the cut scene ends that causes issue's. By that i mean, It seems to be the victory screen/final score tally that is the issue. The cut scene with bishop is fine by its self, but when it try's to load the victory screen in either full screen mode or windowed full screen mode, to do the final score tally that happens almost right after bishop finish's his chit chat with you, is when the game goes "Nope, cant load these graphics for the victory screen/final score tally in either of the 2 full screen modes, time for a crash and the error message" lol.

But for now at least, i found a work around that is perfectly fine considering its just for the bishop cut scene/victory screen. As for if it will happen if i am able to get to and defeat the boss on 3 catalyst's, i dunno. Will just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Thanks a lot for this very thorough follow-up! A lot of interesting information here to investigate! :D

Kanim

Green Slime
Your game, your wonderful, amazing tribute to rpgs past of my childhood, just crashed, AGAIN. In windowed mode non full screen this time. So it seems my work around is not perfect. I had finally gotten the third catalyst (after a few failed attempts). But honestly, I think i am done now. I have the screen shot to prove i did it and got it (which i will be attaching to this post along with the error message). I will be posting that and use that as my proof instead of the steam achievement on my steam account even though id much prefer the steam achievement. Exact same thing, cut scene went off with out a hitch, then once death finished talking and it went to try to switch to the victory screen, just darkness then crash then the error prompt.

However there was 1 difference this time around, i forgot to desummon the pets (as you can see, it was a close fight, and due to the intensity of it/how close it was, i kind of panicked and wanted to get through it asap and forgot to desummon them this time). So it is a possibility that the 2 summons are directly linked somehow to the game crashing when it tries to load the victory screen. But ya, im not sure i could do it on the highest difficulty setting anyway. Think i may have hit my limit in regards to arcade mode in this game when it comes to how far i can get in it (although in all fairness, i did make some mistakes that run due to lack of knowledge regarding some things in the third difficulty in addition to having the worst equipment to date ever out of any of my runs in arcade mode for that run).

But ya, for what ever reason, for my rig (and maybe others, i dunno) the game just does not want to load/work/transition to the victory screen in arcade mode consistently. (again, the pets might be the reason, i dunno, all i do know, is that the 2 times it did not crash, was when it was in window's mode, with both of my summons desummoned but again, in one of the 2 times where it did not crash, i did have a pet from one of the pins out on the battle field).

Oh, and i did have the fae pet as well from one of the pins in this run as well. But ya, for what ever reason, be it the summons, my hardware, what ever, i am pretty sure its time to put this game down and move onto the next. Since the next difficulty is even harder on the next setting, and would be the end achievement for arcade mode, id rather not start up a run, have the stars align in terms of me making all the right movements/attacks/choices, get to the last final boss, beat/defeat it, only to have it crash and me not get credit via steam achievement and not having the game give me the rewards via in game after having earned them. With the knowledge that chances are, it would crash for some reason or have a high chance at it. Plus having it crash and then not getting credit for it after this having happened multiple times now and with having legit struggled as much as i did this most recent run (even though i learned what to improve upon if i choose to do it again), i think its time.

I thank you and the rest of the dev's, for creating this game and am sorry for what ever harassment you, miss villya and the rest of you had to endure to do working on this lovely game (some people just are incapable of understanding the term "Side Project")

Thank you for your help/looking into this mr teddy. This post will be my last most likely for i have given all the info i could possibly give/come up with. The only last bit of info that i can provide you with (again, it may or may not matter) is the monitor i use. Just like my g-card it too, is 10 years old, it may have some burn in, in the bottom left corner, but it still works. Asus VG248QE https://www.asus.com/displays-desktops/monitors/gaming/vg248qe/ here is a link if you wanna see it's stats. One of the early 144 hz monitors.

But ya, if you cant figure it out, if it wouldint be too hard to do, or at the very least, consider making it so you get the catalyst/victory rewards after killing death/before the victory screen is supposed to pop up. Cause.... ya.... i feel about as defeated as one can get right now in terms of progressing in arcade mode. All that is left, is to say, gg.

Attachments

• Screenshot (170).png
    Screenshot (170).png
    81.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot (171).png
    Screenshot (171).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Own

In the past whenever I've identified a crash in arcade, I've always avoided arcade like the plague until I got confirmation that the bug was located and fixed, so... putting the game down until you get that is probably a smart decision.

When everything is hammered out we could always try some co-op arcade, get to the end a little quicker and easier, make sure it doesn't crash even still? :)

Kanim

Green Slime
Ya know, as much as i appreciate the offer Mr Own, Sir, in regard's to this game (and most games on steam that dont have different achievements for solo/multiplayer) and it's achievements, it is something id rather do solo. I can't put such an achievement on display ,on my steam profile, if i did not get it solo/legitimately. I know there are tons of people that have no issues doing such a thing and will even go to lengths such as using SAM (steam achievement manager) or third party cheats to get achievements, but i am NOT one of those people (anyone that uses SAM/third party software to get's achievement's in steam and then puts them on their profile to show off are the worst kind of frauds/cheaters on steam in my opinion and i got NO respect for them as gamers).

And because of how challenging this game has been on the harder settings, the further you get (zhamla on hard is truely legit), it is something id only do solo, so i could show off the achievement on my profile and take pride in it. So, as such, i must regretfully turn your offer down good sir. The only type of games where i have no issues playing multiplayer in/being helped in (and almost always was the one, in truth, doing the carrying back when i did play them) is in MMORPG's cause, well, who doesint want loot that can help you pwn ppl in pvp lol.

Although ill admit, its been years since ive played multiplayer with anyone in regards to a pve game and there is a part of me that misses playing pve games with others, but this game, this is something id have to do on my own. Other wise i would not be able to take pride in the achievement. It would linger in my mind knowing i did not do it legitimately/got carried slightly.

But still, i thank you for the offer. The offer, legit means alot to me. And ive now spent an hour and 40 mins typing/mulling this over lol. Time for dinner. Thanks again Own and have a good night/morning/what ever time of day it is where you are. (if you wish to find me on steam ask teddy, i sent him a private convo near the start of this issue, he knows my steam name and can be found easily enough on the SoG forums on steam, if you wish for another friend on your list). I am off for now. Peace.

Reactions: Own