Arcade Mode Scoring

Em0_oticon

Green Slime
I've played roughly 300 hours of Arcade Mode within the last 2 years or so, and until recently I've never bothered with high scoring. Within the last month or so I've completed two dozen "perfect" runs. These are runs where I could not have possibly scored higher no matter how well I played. It seems as if there's a 30k score disparity in "perfect" runs. I don't like the idea of having a "perfect" score personally and I'm not exactly sure how to go about fixing this issue.

I think one of the ways to go about it could be to have the average time of each floor actually affect your score in some way, and also possibly getting a score bonus for taking 0 damage throughout each floor. I know there are currently "S" ranks in place for taking very little damage and completing each room in a short amount of time, but I think taking it even further by also having this extra scoring in place could help separate the good runs from the great runs.

I know this is a silly thing to have issues with, but I really enjoy arcade mode, and right now I'm getting slightly bored trying to improve my score because of this "soft" cap.

=)

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
I thought I replied to this but apparently I didn't :chicken:

I watched your speedrun video, and that was some very impressive stuff across the board :D

I'm not opposed to adding a "decider" factor in scoring, but before I do that we want to see how the mode fares when the candy curses are added (http://www.vilyaroo.com/2017/02/monday-meeting-more-arcade-mode-plans.html).

We might still reach a stage where doing a perfect run with a certain combination of curses becomes the defacto way of running Arcade, and at that point a little "decider bonus" to the score like the one you suggested might be needed!

Oh, and I think I owe you a heads up on some very sad news indeed... and that is that the genius exploit you found (Charge Equip Cancel) will be patched away when we make the next Arcade Mode update :(

If the game only had Story Mode to consider, I would've just left it in, but due to Arcade Mode having an exploit that completely bulldozes anything in the game will make for a very silly high score top list and make the whole Candy Curse system rather pointless

(I have a feeling you'll make a very formidable speedrun opponent to @JamesKT even without your crazy attackspeed exploit)

Em0_oticon

Green Slime
I will definitely be sad to see the exploit patched out because I really like games that take a lot of technical skill, but I sort of expected as much. It will definitely even the playing field quite a bit. I just hope that Flame Thrower doesn't stay as #1 without exploits. =p