Cosmetic swords / shields?

Own

It is pretty nice to start Arcade Mode off with a cool hat, but having a nifty weapon to flash around would be pretty sweet too.

If Mr. Fabulous is added to Arcadia to sell hats you've (found / fulfilled some requirement with) as a cosmetic item in Arcadia for Essence, Smith could likewise sell any weapon / shield as purely cosmetic for Essence. :)

But it seems simpler to have something like variants on existing equipment, stuff like:

Dark Syde - A red variant of the Laser Sword. Score 1,000,000 points in one run in Arcade Mode. Cosmetic only.

Goddess Beam - A blue variant of the Laser Sword. Max 999 Essence in Arcade Mode. Cosmetic only.

Sunbeam - A yellow variant of the Laser Sword (a different Laser Sword for each player in 4P!). Amass ##,### gold at once in ArcadeMode. Cosmetic only.

Three Force - A variant of Winter's Guard with silver along the edges and three upsidedown golden pyramids on the front. S-Rank every Arcade Boss before Flying Fortress at least once across all runs. Cosmetic only.

Cosmetic items? My kinda deal!

Darklight - A black variant of the Laser Sword, literally a gradient of dark grey and black. Defeat the Final Boss at Level 1 (for this to be possible, see my suggestion based on disabling leveling). Cosmetic only.

Bloodlust - A Variant of the green(default) Laser Sword with a blood splatter effect when swung. Defeat 99999999 Enemies. Cosmetic only.

Deathwish - A variant of the Wooden Sword with a blood splatter effect when swung. Die 999 Times. Cosmetic Only.

Morning Star - A gold glowing Laser Sword, literally looks like a shining star instead of a sword (looks like you're swinging a long plank of light). Complete the game without taking a hit on hard mode. Cosmetic Only.

Night - A dark glowing Laser Sword, literally looks like space instead of a sword (looks like you're swinging a long plank of the night sky). Reach the Maximum Level. Cosmetic Only.

These are a little ridiculous, but the game is called 'Secrets of Grindea'.

Liteyear

Green Slime
You realize that they will essentially look like this? While I wouldn't mind color options for equipment, I imagine it would take a while to make the reskins look nice.

Color Beams.png

Own

Yeah, sure? What's wrong with that? The laser sword is the coolest looking sword in the game by far, having it come in a rainbow of color would be neat. Even Terraria has a whole rainbow of Phaseblades because they know people love non-copyright-infringing lightsabers. :)

I wonder how hard palette swapping in SoG is?

Liteyear

Green Slime
It's not a question difficulty as it is the frames involved. Here's an example: 4 directions, with... let's say 6 frames each for 2 separate movement cycles (initial pose, end pose, and frames for the slash). Assuming the left/right is just mirrored, that still means 36 frames for the base attack alone.

So let's say we just have 5 weapon colors choices: red, blue, green, yellow, and purple. Those sound like a good set, yeah?

Laser's already green, so that means 144 new frames to color, check to make sure they look right, and alter if the base weapon gets a tweek (which then means 180 frames total to edit). And this is an estimated average number for the total amount of frames per basic slash. It could go from as low as 120 frames total (4 frames per slash) to 240 (8 frames per slash).

If there is a spriting program involved it makes life a lot easier to edit and recolor the frames but there's still a lot of sprites involved for a deceptively simple task.

Own

Speaking of recolors of vanity items... @Vilya? :)

upload_2015-10-4_4-57-49.png

Any chance we could get a variation of these in black? Headphones would look pretty cool, and I assume a favorite for streamers who are most likely wearing headphones while they play. :D

Well, headphones or a headset, with a minor adjustment along the front...

upload_2015-10-4_5-2-54.png