[Crash] Alt-tabbed by accident by clicking F1, Game crashes, And I loose my character

Kazray

Green Slime
I am simply going to state each thing I did sequentially.

First I was on my own story in the Temple ruins where you have to fight GUN-D4M.

I was on a Multiplayer server hosting with a friend.

While we were fighting the Robot my friend got stuck beneath the Robots hand and did not take damage which forced my friend to leave and come back.

When they came back we fought the robot again. This time I accidentally alt-tabbed and then immediately tried to go back into the game (NOTE: I was in fullscreen the entire time this was going on)

When I tried to access the program again my screen turned black and flickered a few times.

It then crashed saying "The Game has DEADED" Saying that I had a either a lack of graphics of some jazz.

I am running on a 2013 HP Laptop with 8.0 GB of ram and an Nvidia GeFORCE Graphics card.

Now here's the real kicker, The game crashed and I went back to reload the game to see if it still worked, long and behold it did. However... I went into my Single player mode, To see if I started where I left off. And what do I see at the Character select screen?

(Create a new Character) ....

This made no sense to me seeing as I had saved my characters progress.

I'd like to know if this happened to anyone else. And if it can be fixed. I'd really appreciate to hear anyone's response on this.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Hey!

Out of curiosity... was the character that got deleted placed on the second save slot?

The game keeps pretty regular backups so you should be able to restore the lost save. The fact that it didn't do so automatically is due to a bug in the recovery system (should get fixed the next update). You can restore the backups manually, however, by following these steps:

Go into %APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea and find the Backups folder. In here you should see folders named after all you characters. Go into the appropriate folder. The auto 0-4 are rolling backups. Sort the folder by date to easily see which of them was made last! The “005h” and alike are permanent backups made every hour.

Choose a backup you think is appropriate, and copy it to the “Characters” and/or “Worlds” folders. Replace the save file of the slot you want to recover by deleting its save and renaming the copied backup to the correct slot. The 0 save file corresponds to your first save slot, 1 to the second, and so forth.

As for the graphics card error message, some graphics cards + certain drivers can't handle tabbing out of the game at all, crashing every time. That's why the error message suggests updating the drivers and/or run the game in Windowed Fullscreen!

Kazray

Green Slime
Hey!

Out of curiosity... was the character that got deleted placed on the second save slot?

The game keeps pretty regular backups so you should be able to restore the lost save. The fact that it didn't do so automatically is due to a bug in the recovery system (should get fixed the next update). You can restore the backups manually, however, by following these steps:

Go into %APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea and find the Backups folder. In here you should see folders named after all you characters. Go into the appropriate folder. The auto 0-4 are rolling backups. Sort the folder by date to easily see which of them was made last! The “005h” and alike are permanent backups made every hour.

Choose a backup you think is appropriate, and copy it to the “Characters” and/or “Worlds” folders. Replace the save file of the slot you want to recover by deleting its save and renaming the copied backup to the correct slot. The 0 save file corresponds to your first save slot, 1 to the second, and so forth.

As for the graphics card error message, some graphics cards + certain drivers can't handle tabbing out of the game at all, crashing every time. That's why the error message suggests updating the drivers and/or run the game in Windowed Fullscreen!

Oh I see! Thanks for the steps of recovery. I do hope newer versions of the game come out soon. And like wise. I hope you guys bring higher level enemies to the game too. The only thing that poses a challenge are those Present boxes. Even on hard mode. With the right build they can be out done. Also Level 20 seems to be the cap for the game-... Well not really It's just very hard to level past that point. Let me know how it goes for you guys. Have fun!