Crash at startup without warning

Alienmen1

Green Slime
When I try to start the game, it says that I am playing the game on my icon, but after a few seconds, the icon changes back to being online

I tried installing Microsoft XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0 and Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (Web Installer), but without avail. Tried reinstalling the game, leaving steam and restarting it. Even restarting the PC, but nothing.

I also went and checked my %APPDATA%/SecretofGrindea file, but I dont have one.

What now?

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
One thing you could try, for science, is to find your Secrets of Grindea install folder, place the attached file into it and then run the Secrets of Grindea-exe and see if anything changes.

Attachments

• steam_appid.txt
    6 bytes · Views: 34

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
The directory to the install folder should be something like {Steam}\steamapps\common\SecretsOfGrindea

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
It forces some changes in how Steam initializes when running the game, most notably it lets a game run in multiple instances! However, it apparently didn't help with this issue :(

This is such a ghost problem. I'm going to build in some extra diagnostics in the coming patch to at least help determine where I should be looking.

For a last resort, have you tried removing and re-downloading the game?

If that doesn't work either, which it very well might not, then I think we're both out of luck until I can get some more data on what's happening here.

I think I suggest you refund the game for now, and then when I find more info on this bug I'll update the demo as soon as I can. Then you can just download the demo to see if it's been resolved for you, instead of getting the game again!

Alienmen1

Green Slime
Alright WTF

I start the game today, just because I readed somewhere the game would work and guess fucking what? the game started.

Unbelievable.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Alright WTF

I start the game today, just because I readed somewhere the game would work and guess fucking what? the game started.

Unbelievable.

By the time the game is finished I'll be able to write a proper mystery novel about this bug!

Alienmen1

Green Slime
Godamnit, I shouldn't have closed the game. Now its not working again.

Also something I noticed is that the little window Steam open to announce they are starting the game doesn't appear here.

Alienmen1

Green Slime
Application: Secrets Of Grindea.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an internal error in the .NET Runtime at IP 5E15025F (5E140000) with exit code 80131506.

This is what I got from Event viewer, what should I Do?

***edit***

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Net Framework and didnt work.

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Random question: have you tried running the game as an administrator? Either by running Steam itself as administrator, or right clicking the game in its folder and running that as administrator

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Through some more searching I've found posts that suggest that if you download .NET 4.5 you will get this hotfix, and that the framework should be backwards compatible with .NET 4.

Out of curiosity, what OS are you running?

Alienmen1

Green Slime
I'l try running the game, and steam, as an administrator.
I'l also try the link you provided me.
My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Thanks for helping me find out more about this problem, btw! I've heard about it maybe 3-4 times, and most people get back to me and say it just magically started to work (like it briefly did for you)

It would be great to be able to point people to an actual fix.