[Crash] Mousing over Desktop Peep while transitioning Arcade rooms = crash.

Own

upload_2016-1-30_11-9-50.png

I was in windowed mode, transitioning between Pumpkin Woods 5 -> 6 as Player 2. I moved my mouse to the bottom right corner of my screen, that triggered Desktop Peep and my game crashed with this error message.

Odd that this crash doesn't have a bug report window to submit to.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
So, this bug is pretty brilliant, and not something I can easily solve (as far as I know)

I'm guessing that the desktop peek feature makes all application act as "minimized". This causes the graphics card to flush its memory belonging to the minimized programs. In most cases, only things like rendertargets are flushed (which is what's causing some weird bugs with things disappearing, like the statue in Arcadia). These things are not very harmful, and also can be fixed by re-rendering the texture.

However, there're some mythical circumstances where somehow the entire game's textures gets flushed, meaning everything must be reloaded. Unlike rendertargets, when the regular textures gets unloaded, they crash the game next time they try to render. On a few machines, this ultra unload happens every time someone alt+tabs out of full screen, while for some it just happens super rarely. One of Vilya's machines, for example, has this issue maybe... once every 100 times she minimizes the game?

Anyway, the reason no error report can be sent is because they are all identical and provide no useful information for me, so I turned the tables and decided to provide people getting this error with useful information instead! As I said, most people who get this message get it every time they alt+tab out of full screen, so getting the advice of running in windowed full screen is probably pretty good for them.

Incidentally, this is the things that's causing characters on the second save slot to disappear, so when it happened to Vilya last week I could investigate further and think that particular issue should be fixed!

Own

Huh, interesting. Do you have any idea why it targeted only save slot 2? What's so special about that one?

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Slot 6 also has it's own bug as well, whereby it resets your characters progress each time you quit to the menu. I haven't investigated any of the other slots yet, but they could have individual bugs too.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Huh, interesting. Do you have any idea why it targeted only save slot 2? What's so special about that one?

I'm pretty sure this is what happens, through piecing together information from Vilya's corrupt save and the circumstances around the crash:

The game gets kind of messed up sometimes when that crash occurs, including resetting the game state, which defaults back to "saveslot 1". Since the name of the real first slot is 0, save slot 1 is actually the second character. Through this process, it also resets all data on the player, including the player name (it gets set to "").

Then, since it doesn't seem to understand it's crashing, it exits the game peacefully and saves the game. Since the save file is now a character named "", the game considers that slot empty, despite it not being empty at all. That's what causing the... "interesting" bugs when people create a new character in that slot. Also, to make matters worse, the backup system can't detect the error since the file actually isn't corrupt - the info is garbage but perfectly loadable.

All these things should be fixed in the next Frontline update. I would patch them into Stable if they didn't include some changes to the saving system. I want it tested a bit on a subset of players before throwing it out on Stable and accidentally deleting everyone's save files!

Slot 6 also has it's own bug as well, whereby it resets your characters progress each time you quit to the menu.

That's pretty weird! Do you mean the bottom slot of the middle column? It doesn't happen to me, it seems :(

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
That's pretty weird! Do you mean the bottom slot of the middle column?
Yeah, that one. I've tried two characters in there now, one legit on multiplayer, even though any singleplayer progress still gets deleted, and one with commands for some research, SP only. Both of them had progress reset, multiple times. Could be a "quit and restart" rather than just a rejoin.