[Crash / Visual] Game crashes at certain dialogues / Some localization bugs

Hey guys,

so I just did the german localization update for 0.59a and noticed some crashes when playing with it activated.

First one is when getting your first sword in Startington, didn't record that one.

Second one happens when first arriving in Santa Fae.
Region: Winterland
LocalID: EnterSantaFae03
Crashes AFTER pressing X (or whatever) at the first line "P-p-please..." (or in german -> "B-b-bitte...")

Theres a high chance the game crashes with activated localization at other events, too, but I only tested the new content and Startington. This may or may not have to do with my second problem, which I will just post here for convience's sake.

After the recent update (or even the one before), the "Pet Menu" label in the ingame character panel doesnt get translated anymore.

lYkKmn9.jpg

I know for a fact that it DID get translated in a previous game version, as I had to change it several times because the german label "Haustier-Menü" was too big to fit in the box. I'm not sure for the other labels like "Stats" or "Pet", but I guess its the same problem with them.

The only possible explanation I have is the version mismatch both in the

MiscTexts Tool:

qwiQ7a1.png

and the Dialogue Tool:

xj7SZ0q.png

But the Current Version should be 0.59a.

As always, I took the defaultEnglish.vtf and .dlf from SecretsofGrindea\Content\Data and pasted them over the corresponding files in my translation suite folder, opened one of the tools and my saved localizations and I get that. As said, this may not have to do with anything of this at all, but thats the only guess I have for now.

Gods be with you,

Silas

Edit: The bug probably lies in the dialogues.dlf, as I just made a new project and only copied my translated dialogue of "SjukMamman02" (the one where you get your first sword) from the completed file to this new file and it doesnt crash anymore!

One other thing to note is, when I finished my localization of the dialogues.dlf yesterday (and actually the one for the 0.580 version sometime before, too), it showed me no "No unsaved dialogue was found" when pressing "Next Unsaved", I saved the file, exited the tool. Then I reopened it, loaded my completed file, and a warning message popped up (as said, that happened both times when finishing the 0.59 and the 0.580 localization). Sadly, I cant really remember the warning message and dont seem to be able to reproduce it, but it was something like "1 changed dialogue was found, press "Next Unsaved" to jump to it" or so. But when pressing "Next Unsaved", no unsaved dialogue was found! Weird. Something probably got corrupted there.

Edit 2: I tested the SjukMamman02 dialogue with the brazilian localization from Dulled which currently has version 0.572b and it crashes too! So its definitively not the fault of my files. Maybe the translation tools need an update?

Last edited:
It would also be awesome if some of you guys could download my and Dulleds' translation, make a test character and try to get your first sword. If it crashes for you too, please post it here, so I can confirm that its not a fault of my game installation!

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
It's not just you!

I looked into it, and the cause of the bug was that an identifier of an old item had been changed, and the translation tools did not detect this! I should indeed update the translation suite so that it's safe to update to the most recent Frontline versions without having old scripts in the dialogue files.

What you can do to fix this is to simply resave the dialogue line (just do a small change, undo it and then save the line)! This seemed to fix it for me, at least.

Aye, that fixed the sword dialogue as well as the EnterSantaFae3 dialogue (and actually the other following EnterSantaFaeX dialogues, which then crashed, too) so I hereby declare us both awesome.

However, theres a high chance the game crashes at other dialogues through the game as well. If someone else finds a crash when playing through the game with activated localization, please post it here so I can fix that dialogue line, too.

Now only the bug with the pet menu label (and possibly other labels) remains. Oh, and two other, little something somethings...

First:

Two problems in the MiscTexts Tool:

1. Menus -> InGameMenu_HelpBar_HideDiscovered + InGameMenu_HelpBar_ShowDiscovered

Both of these have the same label "Show Discovered", where one of them should probably be "Hide Discovered".

2. While there is an entry for "SeasonMage_Autumn_Flavor" and "SeasonMage_Winter_Flavor", the one for summer appears to be missing, should probably be named "SeasonMage_Summer_Flavor".

Second:

As I could now play properly through the new content, I saw some devious overflowing text boxes, which apparently dont act so devious in the translation tools:

LocalID: Pernilla_PreSeason01

OwFokGa.jpg

DXufz0u.png

LocalID: Nicodemus_PreSeason01

Jg4eKTy.jpg

g19EhOr.png

LocalID: EnterSantaFae04

Q4PwMdF.jpg

tGU6G6v.png

LocalID: EnterSantaFae07

zN2XuvN.jpg

RiZOwF1.png

Region: SeasonTemple
LocalID: PreFaeBattle03

EB1AwWB.jpg

OO1DCHY.png

Region: SeasonTemple
LocalID: PostFaeBattle03

v1YM11e.jpg

iRoU198.png

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
1)

Nice catches :D

2)

Oh snap. The reason behind that seems to be that new portraits can't be displayed from the old translation tools, and they default to not using any portrait at all.

That leads to a bigger problem, namely that "narration"-texts can use the entire text box, making the preview pretty much useless! The fix for this would be for me to have some form of... "unknown" portrait as default instead, so that the usable size is correct at least.

Hoho, I actually thought as much about the missing new portraits. Don't worry, I'll just wait for the updated tools and will then adjust the appropiate lines to fit again. Not a big deal, after all. Keep it up!

Update on the pet menu bug:

When I watched Dennys german lets play video, where he used my localization, I recognized something weird: the main menu and the pet menu bug where translated when he played, something, that didn't happen for me. So I took a look into it and after some experimenting this is what happens for me:

When changing the language to German in the main menu, the main menu doesn't change its language. So far so good, thats how it always was. Then I loaded up a save, looked at the pet button - untranslated. I exited back to the main menu, still untranslated. Changed the window size from fullscreen to window and back..

w1xecm5.jpg

...loaded up a save again and...

mhKQkwy.jpg

So these two seem to be connected somehow.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Hmm, interesting find! For some reason I didn't think of the main menu strings being untranslated when I tested your translation previously, but they're actually supposed to get translated right away!

So what seems to be happening is that the stylized texts (which are stored in the graphics memory) don't re-render upon changing the language! When you switch from full screen to windowed, however, the graphics memory is flushed and the textures must be constructed again.

I'll look into this!

EDIT: Looked into it, and I had indeed forgot to force the recreation of these stylized texts upon language switch! This will be fixed with the next patch, which will also make the main menu change language instantly as well.

Last edited: