[Crash] Will not initialize window - RPC Endpoint Manager

AnnaK

Green Slime
Device:
Windows 10 Pro (latest)
Nvidia GTX 780M
Intel i7 4900

Action:
Start SecretsOfGrindea via Steam or directly from the install folder.

Result:
Executable process is running, using between 8M and 24M of memory, but no window opens.

-----
I've been trying for a couple of days now to get this game working. Initially I had one success in getting it to execute and I played for about a half hour. Every time I have since attempted to run the game, the executable starts, but never opens a window or really does anything.

Using the task manager "Analyze wait chain" feature I was able to discover that the executable was waiting for svchost.exe (so a service) and after mapping the PID to the actual threads I found it was the two threads related to the RPCEptManager service, or RPC Endpoint Manager. Ending this task will cause your machine to crash, because it is a core system service.

I am running Windows 10 Pro, latest update, on an Alienware 17. I have updated my XNA to latest, and cannot update my .NET profile as that is now considered a system component.

I have tried running in compatibility mode for multiple previous windows versions and as administrator. I have tried running steam as administrator and uninstalling and then re-installing the game. I have checked the event viewer and found no entries related to this process. I have checked the AppData folder. I have deleted the contents of the AppData folder just in case that would help re-initialize the game.

I hope you can give me some hints. Really would love to play this with my siblings again!

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Sorry for the late reply! Sad to hear you're having these issues :(

It seems you've tried most of the common startup error solutions already. The only thing I can't see you mentioning is trying to disable your antivirus and see if that gives you any luck!

If disabling antivirus doesn't work either, I'm kind of out of ideas...

One bright light on the horizon is that it seems pretty likely we'll do a FNA port of the game at some point, for OSX and Linux. FNA naturally works on Windows as well, so for people having very fundamental issues like this, FNA might be the saving grace!