Crit Damage vs Crit Chance, first impressions.

zjat

Green Slime
So first off, this game is amazing. I just bought it this week and have been playing with friends as well! Now, I bring up the touchy (for me) subject of critical hits. I normally hate critical hit functions in games because it is blown out of proportion and becomes the only way to build in the end game. Two examples are Diablo 3 (were crit dominates item slots) and Warframe (were various crit weapons can double crit with over 100% chance). I'm a numbers guy though so let's look at that.

[Surgeon] grants +5% critical Chance for 3 talent points and is possibly one of the strongest (not by much) of damage talents. Critical Damage is +50% when proc'd by base, totaling: 5%*50%= 2.5% average damage per point.

[Brutality] in comparison is +5% critical damage on occurrence. Because of the interaction of crit dmg and crit chance it's hard to see the value of this talent, mainly because crit chance can go pretty high if you build into it. To compare to the function of pure damage talents which give 2% each, you would need 40% critical chance to make this point into critical dmg equal (more or less).

I feel like these two talents could get tweaked. I think there should be a value in having high crit chance without having high crit damage, but vice versa as well. I think various Crit modifiers on items and especially on pets could shift towards crit damage instead of more crit chance.

In the long run, I just want more opportunity for crit damage instead of more crit chance (which seems to be everywhere). Anyone else feel this way?

Edit: An example of a situation to run crit dmg% over crit rng% would be perfect guard basic attacks.

Last edited:

Lostyy

Green Slime
I skimmed over this at first, but then actually read it. I feel ya, not a lot of games focus a bunch on critical damage, so it'd be nice.