Custom Quest Ideas

Garglius

Master Collector
Hey guys!

I"ve been gone for quite a while, but I was the first to contribute to the Master Collector tier of the game, which grants me the ability to work with the devs in order to add a side-quest to the game. I have some ideas, which I will post here, and I am hoping to get some feedback from the community as well as the devs as to how feasible these ideas are, as well as getting some ideas from everyone as to what they would like to see.

Here are some ideas I currently have:

-Item to start the quest would be obtained via Arcade Mode and once obtained available on all story mode toons. (Perhaps getting all D's on a floor/completing a floor shieldless/etc.)

-NPC in story mode that starts the quest once you have the item (Have him ressemble me/my toon)

-Quest is to obtain an item from an enemy in each zone (low enough drop), which would only drop once quest was initiated. (Was originally thinking each different slime, but I have to go through the story mode again to get a feel for it. Maybe I'd choose specific enemies to make it harder to determine what was needed)

-Once all items obtained, NPC gives a key to a door, which opens an area which is essentially one floor of arcade mode, but each room spawns in random enemies from the entire game, with each room having a random chance of being any "biome" (might start in airship, then go to forest, then snow, etc.)

-Boss at end to be determined, which would grant a rather cool item.

What do you guys think?

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
Oooooh the great Costume Quest ... wait, no.. I mean custom quest.

I'll go down the points you made.

- Will this be teased or hinted at in any way or do you plan to make this quest a "hidden" quest? If this quest will be hidden in the Arcade Mode, then a lot of players (propably more than 70%) will never experience it. I don't want to discourage your idea, but the "average" player will not even go for such quest even if they know how. I mean about 50% of players have made it the tutorial in Dark Souls and less than 10% have finished the game.
It is a neat idea, especially how the unlocks from Arcade are also unlocked at the beginning of each story mode start.

- Yeah, why not. If you want you could have him/her hint at this whole questline when the player hasn't unlocked it yet. Rumbling something about an maze and hidden treasure.

- I only would go for "all slimes" if you want it to be thematic. All slimes can be nice, but it would raise my expectations as a player that what follows has to do with only slimes as well. So think about what you want to be the player expectations. Maybe think about elite versions of enemies.

- Items for a key. This works, but you have to know that this would imply that your character (the NPC) had access to the area all along. This leads to a lot of questions on the player side. Has s/he made the area? May it be a trap? Why does s/he want to items the key? Why not money?
A solution to this might be that you receive the quest from the NPC, but the door unlocks once you "offer" the "items/drops". Similar to how it worked in Mario and the Six Golden Coins.
tumblr_lsh633uiet1qab0ywo1_500-300x263.jpg

So a "The items are the keys" instead of a "The items get you the key" idea. But again, maybe you want to imply that your character is a madman who creates dungeon like mazes, then captures and releases monsters, just to tell children there might be something nice if they make it through. Are there cameras in the caves? Does s/he enoy this? Is this snuff?
But on another note. I like the "one floor of arcade mode" idea for your mini dungeon. Gives you a lot of freedom.

- I like it. (Get the "slightly bigger barrel shield" :p)

I think your idea is nice. Think a little about what you want the players to think/feel/experience and how your quest can achieve that.
Right now the framework could be:
  • Creepy guy lures children to cave with promies of something nice.
  • A mysterious treasure behind ancient doors. A case for Indiana Jones ~ cracks whip ~

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
If you want to come up with an interesting quest, these two videos might help you:

For it to be worth it, it should be different from all other quests in game, and give some unique reward that is useful for whole game.