Dying often. Penalties?

KorruptkSwades

Green Slime
Hi ! I was wondering if dying often ingame can cause problems in the late game? Yesterday I died like 3-4 times under 30minutes of playing. I actually die a lot.... very a lot :( Thanks

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Hi ! I was wondering if dying often ingame can cause problems in the late game? Yesterday I died like 3-4 times under 30minutes of playing. I actually die a lot.... very a lot :( Thanks
Death has no penalty what so ever. I think I died more than 50 times to the Rabbys before I fully understood what I was doing. :p

HexZyle

Boar
This makes me feel so bad how often I die while not suffering any penalty because of it. Also dying to refill your health, I really think this shouldn't be a thing.
(It really annoys me when I lose a character on FE even though I play on casual - what's the point of playing on hardcore if you're just going to reset the game every time you lose a character?)

Enoen

Rabby
This makes me feel so bad how often I die while not suffering any penalty because of it. Also dying to refill your health, I really think this shouldn't be a thing.
(It really annoys me when I lose a character on FE even though I play on casual - what's the point of playing on hardcore if you're just going to reset the game every time you lose a character?)
You want some kinda Dark Souls 2 penalty where the more you die the less max hp you have so your skull becomes softer with each blow to the head?

I think since this is a game about collecting..We should drop gold :y But then it might encourage co-op sabotage.

KoBeWi

Jumpkin
There's a game called Trove, which has some interesting mechanics for penalty. There's a stat called Magic Find, that increases chance to get better loot. You can get bonus Magic Find by killing enemies (up to 50), but you lose all the bonus upon dying. So maybe in Grindea there could be some stat that increases slowly as enemies are killed, increasing slightly drop chance, but it's lost upon dying?

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
There's a game called Trove, which has some interesting mechanics for penalty. There's a stat called Magic Find, that increases chance to get better loot. You can get bonus Magic Find by killing enemies (up to 50), but you lose all the bonus upon dying. So maybe in Grindea there could be some stat that increases slowly as enemies are killed, increasing slightly drop chance, but it's lost upon dying?
That would actually not be a bad idea. Playing well rewards you with a higher chance to find the item/card you're looking for. It wouldn't have to be a big difference, something like 0.01% for every enemy killed and it stacks up to 1% extra drop chance. Just having the visual stack counter would encourage me to try my hardest while farming. :D

Last edited:

HexZyle

Boar
Or the inverse, dying decreases drop chance to 50% of the base chance, and killing mobs gradually returns it to regular rate. (I know Drox Operative and Din's Curse do this, except to earned experience)

Should this also apply to dropped money, for those who are grinding for that?

Own

I'm actually in favor of the game being kind to people who die repeatedly instead of punishing them. If you want hardcore penalties, wait for a Hardcore mode or switch to Arcade. For Story I'd be happy to see, if you died vs Gigaslime:

[Continue?] [Quit?] [Hint (2 more deaths)]

Then 1 more Death.

Then it unlocks as an option to be selected.

[Giga Spin + Shield = ?]

Phaseman, and it detects you're still using a Wooden Shield?

[Buy a better shield in town!]

Halloweed, nuisance #1 for a lot of players?

[Shield up when it burrows!]

Hydra?

[Hit the orbs to put the fire out!]
[Frostlings could drop something to help with this...]
[You could block those rams, I bet.]

Any boss, while you're in Hard Mode?

[You can turn the difficulty down to Normal in the Options Menu!]

If someone is dying over and over and over, clearly they're stuck and are probably on the verge of ragequitting, not understanding what they're doing wrong. 'Hint' as an option would probably help with that. Or would it be condescending...?