Enchantment - Making it it's own thread.

Own

Crafted items might be more worthwhile than storebought items if you had some sort of system of enchanting in Secrets of Grindea, even if the crafted item is initially weaker.

So the shop in Evergrind has a +4% Crit accessory and 0 Enhancement / Enchantment / etc slots.

Meanwhile you can craft a +2% Crit accessory with 2 Enchantment slots.

Any enemy killed in an area has a chance to drop a Grindea Essence of a number of colors.

You kill a Bee in the Pillar Mountains, it drops a Pillar Red Grindea Essence, fuse that onto the accessory and it gains +2 ATK. You kill a Jumpkin in the Pumpkin Woods, it drops a Pumpkin Blue Grindea Essence, fuse that onto the accessory and it gains +4 MATK. Brawler Bot in the Flying Fortress, Fortress Green Grindea Essence, which could boost crit, attack speed, energy regen or whatever.

Or instead of having so many varities of essence flooding in, you could just have generic Pillar Grindea Essence and fuse that into an enchantment slot for a random bonus. +2 ATK, +2 MATK, +2 DEF or whatever. That way pretty much everyone's equipment loadout would be subtly different, depending on which buffs the RNG gave them. Would also prevent people farming endlessly for one specific type of essence, or trying to minmax their entire buff loadout.

The only downside to this would be making it so equipment items could no longer stack, but I don't often see people with more than one piece of a type of equipment in their inventory. Especially since they don't need more than one.

The way I prefer it would be the generic 'Pillar Grindea Essence', random boosts, etc way.

This seems especially useful for adding much more variety to the items in the game beyond just their numbers of stats. Like, the Straw Boater you get for free gives an automatic +4 defense, or something similar, making the Leather Hat for +1 defense useless. But if it had more enchantment slots than the boater, you might be incentivized to use it instead.

Motoma

Green Slime
I think having enchantment slots for crafted armor would add a lot of additional gameplay for players--instead of fighting the boss to get the pieces to craft the armor just once, you would fight the boss multiple times to get the multiple pieces to craft the armor multiple times, so that you could have a +MP set of armor as well as a +CRIT set of the same armor, etc..

Own

Another option I just thought of could be not having randomized bonuses, but to have set bonuses that unlock when Essence is applied to them.

So you go and dig up the Warm Hat. It's stats are listed as:

[Warm Hat: +6 DEF]
[???] [???]

Putting in one essence would reveal the first [???], [+10% Fire Magic Damage]. Another essence would reveal the second, [-10% Damage from Cold Enemies].

I don't know how to balance essences / an enchantment system like that, but I really like the idea of equipment improving for loot diversity. =) Because right now most equipment is competing against each other and you find something better shortly after getting something good.