[Equippable Item]Boar Armor

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
I get so much "tough skin" while farming the boar card and thought that a leather armor would be nice.
What about a higher than "normal" defense but because it is so hard and robust you also get a small decrease in attack and cast speed.
Def +20
ASPD -10
CSPD -10

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I like the idea of making use of the tough skin to make a leather armor. Not sure if I agree with the stats. Wouldn't a leather armor be easier to move in than say the armor from a robot? When I hear leather armor I think of two different things: A rouge or a viking, so you're either nible and quick or a brute force. Reduced cast speed but increased attack speed or reduced attack speed but increased damage.

I think +DEF/+HP -ASPD +ATK would be ideal. The boars in the game hit really hard, get exhausted easily, and are fairly tanky, so that would mimic their stats.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
I stay with my position.
Reasons:
- Does this look like the same soft leather as your average chair or jacket? No, it's though! It is made to sustain dangerous weapons.
- We have no equipement with any kind of stats down. This would mix things up a bit.

@Buffalo Bell
Mimic the Boar? Have you seen that beast? That is 250 Kg of pure muscle. Of course they're fast with their skin.
They would be fast with their skin, my skin and the robot armor.

The boars can be killed fairly early and are not "that" hard. So the boar armor is an early game item.
With Def+20 it is the second best armor in regard to defense and so there has to be a downside.

Decreased knockback is a stat that should be on shoes only. Armor distributes momentum, if anything it increases knockback because all of a sudden swords and arrows become blunt weapons. It also makes you heavier so your muscles have to do more work to menuver and balance. Shoes can have cleats specially designed to give you better footing, so it makes a lot of sense for them to have that effect.

@MrChocodemon
But why wouldn't I just farm Slime armor which will give me 5 more defense, zero downsides, and actually increase my attack speed? It's probably even easier to farm since you get Goo from farming before the exam and Slime Cube is a common drop, Boars are in a side area that you have yet to visit. Both can be farmed at the same exact time, post exam.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I stay with my position.
Reasons:
- Does this look like the same soft leather as your average chair or jacket? No, it's though! It is made to sustain dangerous weapons.
- We have no equipement with any kind of stats down. This would mix things up a bit.
We do have the mace that reduces your attackspeed so not 100% true. :p
Also that leather armor should still be lighter to carry around than an armor made from metal so increased attackspeed is not that weird to have since the Brawler Bot armor gives attackspeed. Because the leather armor is lighter to wear than a metal armor that should mean that you can use more strenght to swing your weapon with so gaining strenght would be somewhat true if you're wearing a heavy armor and then switches to this one. :p

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
That is not regular metal. Those are ultra light nano-carbon-fiber plates. As light as Marshmallows and as hard as Titanium.
And i never used the Mace O:

Own

Decreased knockback is a stat that should be on shoes only. Armor distributes momentum, if anything it increases knockback because all of a sudden swords and arrows become blunt weapons. It also makes you heavier so your muscles have to do more work to menuver and balance. Shoes can have cleats specially designed to give you better footing, so it makes a lot of sense for them to have that effect.

Are you arguing realism in a fantasy game where an apple with an arrow through it increases your crit chance? :p

Items in fantasy games have 'special effects' based on the enemy they came from all the time. Boars resist knockback, so it follows something made from them would too. I don't know why anyone would argue realism in any game like SoG.

It isn't just a realism thing. In most games the items that relate to movement are boots. Item slots should have different identities. Even in this game the thing that gives you slip resistance is a pair of Frostling Shoes, if anything were to give you decreased knockback I think it should be shoes at well. They could come from a boar as well, hitting both the slot identity and the essence identity.

Last edited:

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
I side with Own on this one.
20x_the_gilliam_by_blazbaros-d6ri545.png

Imagine someone in this Armor and no shoes

Do you think that him wearing shoes will make the difference in Knockback? Nope.

If they were wearing iron boots, especially with cleats, it would be easier to keep composed. If you put a weight on the end of a stick and balance that stick up right and tap it with even the smallest bit of force it will fall over. If you put the weight at the bottom and tap it it is less likely to fall over. In fact something with weight near it's bottom will lose momentum from being pushed exponentially faster than something with weight near its top, center of mass and all that.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
That's some nice Physics you have there, but you forget that his weight + gravity pushing him down is making it very hard to push him away. As long as his feed can hold him; the weight will increase the friction.
Your explanation works when you have a paper tube that gets wrapped in metal, but not on a human as you can move your body and put your weight against the incoming attack. People are not stationary.

I guess my weight distribution argument applies more to tipping then it does to knockback. Still, shoes with cleats are going to improve your friction.

From a game mechanics perspective I think shoes should be the gear piece that deals with movement based utility such as: knockback, sliding (already in the game), being rooted, gap closing larger distances, and moving quicker. Armor should be mostly defensive utility. Headgear should be oriented with intelligence, precision, and will. Accessories should offer various things, preferably unique special effects.