Evergrind Notice Board

Own

Never let it be said that I am good at MS paint.

IgAgFHH.png

Right by the hub of Evergrind city, where you're always teleporting back to or loading into, so it's always there. Pops up with a little [!] above it whenever it has any new news that wouldn't be worth including in a cutscene or from talking to an NPC. Could display little notices that you select to see in full.

Like:

(Before exam.)
[From: Ledge] A word of advice to you greenhorns.
[Being a Collector means knowing when to run, and when to shield up and stand strong. You'll need to know the difference if you want to beat the exams. Remember this.]

(After exam.)
[From: Merchants Union] Adventuring Rule #1: Equip yourself before venturing forth!
[Congratulations to all new Collectors! Before you throw your lives away on the road ahead, throw your gold our way and live a little longer. Browse our wares, come back whenever you get a little more coin, we're here to keep the undertaker out of business.]

(After Flying Fortress.)
[From: Smith] New Wares!
[We've got new wares in stock at the armory for wizards and warriors alike!]

Various chatter from different NPCs you've encountered as you go through the game would be neat too. :) Suikoden 2 had a little box where people you knew would put letters as your gameplay time increased, it made them feel a little more alive.

Harquinn

Green Slime
I too rather like this idea. It'd be a nice little bit of world development to see little notes now and then of various npc's bantering/arguing back and forth at each other as you progressed through the game. Like Twitter battles "ye olde noticeboard" style. Something that's just going on in the background in and among the quests you can pick up from it that gives the world a little more life of it's own.

Something simple as, "Would a certain someone please STOP stealing the apple pies from my window!" ~ the Baker. And later on a grubby scrap of paper is tacked on top saying, "If you didn't want them stolen, you shouldn't make them so tasty. <3" ~ the Thief; would just make me smile if I saw that going on in the corner of the notice board when I went to check it.