Farming System?

What do you thinks

• Total voters

Yuuki

Boar
So is just recently player Rune Factory 4 and got the somewhat crazy idea that a farming system could also work in Grindea.

You basicly cloud place and farm your own stuff that you can then use to brew heal potion or even create weapons.

What do you guys think

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
I don't think it sounds like a good idea for two reasons.
1. Farming enemies is enough for me, I don't need other things to farm aswell.
2. It sounds boring... XD I don't like to just sit and wait for stuff to grow, killing stuff or doing quests is something I would rather do since I would have to play the game which isn't that bad IMO. :p

Yuuki

Boar
who said you had to sit next to it? you could go away after it, in that regard it would be more like the berrys im Pokemon OR/AS

GarlicJelly

I didn't say you have sit next to it but I still don't like the idea of having a farm that I have to go and check out every 30 minutes or so to get the materials for my new armour. I'm not saying I wouldn't use the farm if there was one in the game but I would rather do without it.

MrChocodemon

Handsome Moderator
I never liked the berries in Pokémon and i'm not a fan of Animal Crossing nor Harvest Moon, so a "No" from me.
A "farm" is far too passive for me and takes actually far too much time as i have to harvest the seeds after a while so i can plant new stuff.

Problem is you have several outcomes which neither really appeal to me.
- growing stuff is fast, because waiting is pretty boring --> you have to check regular to really be able to take advantage [forced addiction (ok maybe not that hardcore)]
- growing stuff takes longer --> it is not really useful as you can farm faster when kill monster
- growing stuff takes long, but gives enough resources to be better than farming --> would harm farming monsters, as actual farming would become more viable and killing monsters is appealling (of course you can't just get slime on your farm, but this will still affect the game feel)

Yuuki

Boar
The farm aspect would never void the monster aspect.

1 you could limit the farming results only to stats boosting items while crafting

Or
2 you could make it so that you can use almost all more rate drops as seeds and that putting then on the farm result in the growing of another identical items overtime this could be tweaked so that it in theory takes less time to farm the items then to get it through usual drops or so

GarlicJelly

The farm aspect would never void the monster aspect.

1 you could limit the farming results only to stats boosting items while crafting

Or
2 you could make it so that you can use almost all more rate drops as seeds and that putting then on the farm result in the growing of another identical items overtime this could be tweaked so that it in theory takes less time to farm the items then to get it through usual drops or so
1. If you limit the farm so that you can only use it to boost stats then you pretty much force the concept down the players throat since you wouldn't be able to skip the farming aspect since it would be too good to not do.

2. Using the farm to "duplicate" items doesn't sound that bad but that could ruin the economy in the game so all the items we find will lose their money value. It could be really nice to help you gather your ingredients for crafting recipies but that could also take away playtime hours that are expected from a "grind-game". Only thing I really feel like the farm can be use for is to make items that can only be fed to the pets so that they don't break anything. Right now the fishing is very boring to grind so having farming aswell to double your pet food production wouldn't be that bad IMO.

Own

Farming is good if it's something you can just swing by and do on your way through.

For example, in Legend of Mana your home had an orchard where you could feed seeds to a tree and have it's branches bear fruit. You fed this fruit to your pets to enhance them, used them for enhancing weapons or for golem modifications, I believe.

If you could just grow various fruits that you could use to give your pets a chunk of EXP every now and then, it wouldn't be so bad.

GarlicJelly

Farming is good if it's something you can just swing by and do on your way through.

For example, in Legend of Mana your home had an orchard where you could feed seeds to a tree and have it's branches bear fruit. You fed this fruit to your pets to enhance them, used them for enhancing weapons or for golem modifications, I believe.

If you could just grow various fruits that you could use to give your pets a chunk of EXP every now and then, it wouldn't be so bad.
I agree that it wouldn't be so bad if the farm was located right next to a tele pad or if it was very close by to where you usually go but the farm area is IMO too far away from where you actually spend most of your time. I mean most of the time you're in Evergrind City but at the same time you can't have a farm in the middle of the city so it's current location makes sense even tough it's too far away to be something you check just because you just happened to pass by.

Yuuki

Boar

that would be a good idea too.

GarlicJelly

Housing System + Inner Garden
I don't think that's gonna work. I don't know if you've read Vilya's blog but a while ago she revealed where the player house will be and all I can say is that the player house does not look big on the outside and it's also located in the middle of the city so you can't hide a garden at the back of the house.

Fred

Developer
Staff member
We've actually had a farming system planned for a long time, I've even made some graphics for different plants growing and stuff. Since then it has kinda taken a backseat since there's so much else in the game we feel take priority over it.

Anyway, the way we've had it setup was pretty straight forward and simple. You would receive seeds during your play through (through quests, enemy drops, chests etc) that you would be able to plant on a little patch at the farm (which is actually in the game already). After a set amount of time, which would vary greatly depending on the seed, different items would grow out of the plant. Maybe not always but most of the times players would have no idea what kind of item the seeds would yield.
The graphics I created was mainly for different pet catching items, but pet feed and even weapons (a leaf sword!) have been something we've wanted to add.

We had talks about having different ways of speeding up the growing process, like watering the plants or whatever. In the end we decided against it, since we didn't want the game to turn into a Harvest Moon. Our vision was pretty much what Own suggested. Something that you could just swing by from time to time that didn't demand any real maintenance from players. The mystery and anticipation about what items you would receive in the end would be enough in my book.

Anyway, we have no real time table for when this system will make it into the game, or if we will end up removing it all together. I still really like the idea, the more side activities the better, but we have so much stuff planned already some of it might end up on the chopping block. Hopefully not though!