[Gameplay?] Arcade damage score still based on # of damage, not # of hits taken.

Own

I noticed if I took one large hit, I got an A rank. But if I took one small damage hit, I still got an S-Rank.

I could have sworn when Arcade scores were being rebalanced it was changed to reflect #of hits taken so as to reflect skill better, or not to penalize mages in lower DEF gear more? If it's working as intended, remove this. :p

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
At first this was set to be changed, but we changed our mind with the following reasoning:

The frustration right now might be getting mauled in the face by a GUN-D4M fist and getting an A for it, but you can run into a thorn or get stuck for a split second in the batswarm without losing the S.

Conversely, if it's based on # of hits, getting caught for half a second in the batwsarm suddenly crushes your score, while tanking a hydra headbutt or two is fine.

There's at least some sense of built in balance in using actual damage, since high damage attacks are usually easier to dodge than stuff that deal little damage. For now, actual damage will be the sole deciding factor!

Perhaps some clever combination could be used at some point, but I don't feel the system really needs a rework for now. Judging by the high score table, high DPS mage builds don't really need a buff in the score hunting department! :D

Own

Ooh.

If I were to change it to make things fairer for balance, this seems like it would be equal for everyone:

0-1 hits = S-Rank.
(2-3?) hits= A-Rank.
(4-5?) hits = B-Rank

1 solid hit = 1 hit (Slime, Rabby, Bee, Bloomo, Boar, etc)
1 projectile hit = 0.5 hit (Pumpkin Mage, Snow Frostling, Gundam barrage, etc)
1 odd'n'ends hit = 0.25 hit (Batswarm, Thorns, Blizzards, Challenge room hits?)

But you might be right and it's fine for now, I just frown when one solid hit from the Helloweed or Hydras nets me an A-Rank on a floor from S+A=A. :p