[Gameplay] Arcade Timer for Gundam busted.

Own

Pokesly has gotten the new top score in Arcade and I've more or less conceded it to him, since there's nothing I can do to avoid taking D-rank damage on Gundam. :p Oh well.

But he did mention something interesting. He got the Axe on Flying Fortress, a bunch of +DMG stuff, killed Gundam in phases and still somehow he got a C-Rank. I figured, that's weird.

So I speedran my way to Gundam, killed him ASAP with no regard for my HP, chugging HP potions and I too got a C. I can say 100% that Gundam's timer is broken.

What is the S rank time on this guy set at? And for that matter, what's Toy Machine's? 2:20 is a B-rank it looks like, for a maximum damage build.

Edit: In fact, it would be handy if you could see the details of every enemy you've encountered in Arcade Mode either in your monster bestiary or on the sign board in Arcadia, listing the S-Rank time required to beat each boss, or even each enemy. Ex: Each individual Jumpkin is +2 seconds, each Ghosty is +2.5, Gundam is +120 seconds.

That or give us an unlockable / Essence buyable Stopwatch item that, when used, displays an S-Rank timer countdown on each boss for that run while we fight it. Or an item that displays what your current floor Time rank and Damage rank is.

Last edited:

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
Well, let's not beat around the bush here. I must've been on drugs setting these timers. Both GUN-D4M and (even more bizarre) Winter had a one minute timer for S rank...

I set Gundam to 2:00 instead.

I'll just go on your word for the Toy Factory and set that one to 2:30. I gave that time to the Hydras as well (based on the video of you and Poke beating him on 3 minutes, but with some mishaps).

I replayed Winter and beat him on 5 minutes, but my equipment wasn't that good and I had no potions so it might be a bit generous. I gave him that timer anyway, for now.

If you or someone else disagree with these timers in either direction, feel free to tell me :D

Hopefully, that Pecko hat and fairy companion will be theoretically possible to obtain with the next patch! On that note I'll have a look at Gundam's barrages and see where I can optimize things, as well.

In fact, it would be handy if you could see the details of every enemy you've encountered in Arcade Mode either in your monster bestiary or on the sign board in Arcadia, listing the S-Rank time required to beat each boss, or even each enemy. Ex: Each individual Jumpkin is +2 seconds, each Ghosty is +2.5, Gundam is +120 seconds.

That or give us an unlockable / Essence buyable Stopwatch item that, when used, displays an S-Rank timer countdown on each boss for that run while we fight it. Or an item that displays what your current floor Time rank and Damage rank is.

+1, especially the last suggestion. Could be a perk or unlockable.

Reactions: Own

Own

Looking at my Toy Factory boss kill video, I see I had an Axe for it. Which only usually pops up for me in SEASONNE TEMPLE (edit - wrote FF before, oops). I'm not sure if that should be the standard for timers... but I'm also a little wary of Spin2Win being the gold standard for timers as well. If the only way to get an S-Rank is to Spin2Win, people are locked into having to learn it.

Also, hydras don't have exactly double health, do they? So two people could kill it quicker than one could?

And the Gundam being set at 2:00, doesn't that mean you have to actually 'kill' him in 80~ seconds? He has a 30 second final barrage, along with a 10 second gap between the final barrage ending and your timer / rank appearing.

I won't say one way or the other whether they're good or bad until I've tested them myself. Next patch that goes up, I'll give you my feedback. :)

+1, especially the last suggestion. Could be a perk or unlockable.

I personally wouldn't use it if it was a perk, since it adds no inherent bonus - it just gives you a clock to race against, gives you immediate feedback as to how your build fares. I love me some unlockables, though. <3

Last edited: