[Gameplay] Character's Gone?

Xetro

Green Slime
Last night, I checked my secrets of grindea. To my surprise, my character was gone. Just completely gone, as if he was deleted. I ignored it and made a new one as he was only lvl 14. After about 7 hours of gameplay I logged off for the night. The next day, poof, he's gone aswell. My sister's characters are still there and she hasn't logged on in 1-2 weeks so It cant be an overwritten save. I know there's probably no way to restore my character, and that's ok, I just hope that the problem is resolved so I can play again.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
You're in luck, actually! There is a way to restore lost characters (as long as the backup system doesn't hiccup)!

I'm suspecting you're using the second save file slot? It's been known to cause issues in the current version! You can either switch to the Frontline beta, or recover your characters to other save slots.

Anyways, here's how you recover them:

In the file explorer, go into %APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea and find the Backups folder. In here you should see folders named after all your characters. Go into the appropriate folder. The auto 0-4 are rolling backups. Sort the folder by date to easily see which of them was made last! The “005h” and alike are permanent backups made every hour.

Choose a backup you think is appropriate, and copy it to the “Characters” and/or “Worlds” folders. Replace the save file of the slot you want to recover by deleting its save and renaming the copied backup to the correct slot. The 0 save file corresponds to your first save slot, 1 to the second, and so forth.

Xetro

Green Slime
You're in luck, actually! There is a way to restore lost characters (as long as the backup system doesn't hiccup)!

I'm suspecting you're using the second save file slot? It's been known to cause issues in the current version! You can either switch to the Frontline beta, or recover your characters to other save slots.

Anyways, here's how you recover them:

In the file explorer, go into %APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea and find the Backups folder. In here you should see folders named after all your characters. Go into the appropriate folder. The auto 0-4 are rolling backups. Sort the folder by date to easily see which of them was made last! The “005h” and alike are permanent backups made every hour.

Choose a backup you think is appropriate, and copy it to the “Characters” and/or “Worlds” folders. Replace the save file of the slot you want to recover by deleting its save and renaming the copied backup to the correct slot. The 0 save file corresponds to your first save slot, 1 to the second, and so forth.
Thanks for that, I tried what you said but saw no folder for the backups. I have no idea if it's because I have the version from steam or just my sheer stupidity, but I just can't find it. Thanks for trying though, I' going to try switching to the Frontline beta and starting a new character.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
Hm, that's odd. If I recall correctly, the game stores your character files in your appdata regardless of where it's been installed. In case you followed Teddy's instructions exactly, he missed out a step. Go into your appdata, then choose the "Roaming" folder. It is in there where the Secrets of Grindea folder is situated :p

roaming.png

[Edit]: Nope, apparently %appdata% takes you straight to the roaming folder. My bad :oops:

Xetro

Green Slime
Hm, that's odd. If I recall correctly, the game stores your character files in your appdata regardless of where it's been installed. In case you followed Teddy's instructions exactly, he missed out a step. Go into your appdata, then choose the "Roaming" folder. It is in there where the Secrets of Grindea folder is situated :p

View attachment 1404

[Edit]: Nope, apparently %appdata% takes you straight to the roaming folder. My bad :oops:
Hey, thanks for trying. I tried restoring the back-ups but unfortunately they didn't work. I'm far from being good with computers so I'm not sure if I followed the steps correctly. Also I'm not sure if I can post another quick frontline bug here or if I have to open a new post. I'll leave it here and if you want me to relocate I will.
xD, Just found out for some reason I can't upload photos so Long story short, chat just went like this in the spooky woods.
Lol X: "Co-Ordinates" Y: "Co-Ordinates"
Something like that spammed a bunch in chat.
It's nothing major at all so I just thought I'd mention it.

The G-Meister

Giga Slime
You're not the first one to spot that :p Surprisngly it's not co-ordinates, but actually the motion of a Lantern Jack projectiles in both the X and Y direction. It'll be more noticeable when you find an elite one, which shoots 5 of them at you, and you'll get the message 5 times.

In regards to the backups, don't worry - I find it complicated as well. In the backups folder of your characater, you'll find a .cha and .wld file, both with the same name. What you'll need to do is, if we want to restore the character into the 6th slot (as I'll assume you have that one empty for now) we want to take these files and rename them so they are called 5.cha and 5.wld. You then want to select both of them, and I would suggest copying or cutting them and putting them in your Secrets of Grindea folder.

You then want to take the 5.cha file and drag it into the folder named "Characters", and take the 5.wld file and put it in the folder named "Worlds". My understanding is that the .cha file contains all the stuff and skills your character has accumulated, and the .wld file contains all the quests you've completed and the place you are in the story.

I hope that helped. If you need to use a different slot, take this rule and use it for the number you rename the files to:

(number of file slot you want) - 1 = number to rename files to.

Bear in mind this counts the slots as going down the column, then across to the next row and down that column, and so on. The reason for this discrepancy is to do with programming. Often, programming languages like to use a system known as "zero-based numbering". This means that numbers start from a 0 rather than a 1. This conflicts with most non-programming circumstances, and may have something to do with 0 being discovered/invented quite late in our history of maths (even after negative numbers and fractions, I think).