[gameplay] quest dialog crash, unable to progress

silver7017

Green Slime
I defeated phaseman while the quest dialog crash still existed, and when I picked up his energy orb, my game crashed to desktop. that crash has been fixed (I can now read the arena reward poster, and I was able to complete the slime ring quest finally) but phaseman is no longer present in the boss room. I cannot fight him again for his movement ability, nor does he reward you with it when fighting from his statue. is there any way I can work around this rather unfortunate situation and continue to progress? before anyone bothers to suggest it: starting a new character is out of the question - I'm willing to grind for piles of items and cards once, but I will not do so a second time.

GarlicJelly

Friendly Moderator (Formerly known as GoodStuff)
Are you sure you didn't get the phase ability? If you picked it up and the game crashed then you should have it. If you didn't pick it up then he should spawn again when you go to his area (that is a bug that I used to farm Phaseman before the memory room was added).

silver7017

Green Slime
I suppose it is entirely possible that I have the ability and simply do not know how to use it, but I have not found any way (key combination, etc) to interact with the little plates with arrows on them, which I assume to be the places where that ability comes into play.

Teddy

Developer
Staff member
That sounds very weird! The reason for the exploit GoodStuff mentioned is that Phaseman's spawning or not spawning in the room is based entirely on whether or not the player has acquired the phase shifting ability. If he won't respawn, then you should have the ability as the arrow plates check the same flag as the boss encounter.

To use the plates, you just need to stand on them and press the action button (attack button on the keyboard/shield button on gamepads).

If this still doesn't work, would you mind uploading your world save file? It's found in %APPDATA%/Secrets of Grindea/Worlds, named after its save slot (0 = top save slot, 1 = middle, 2 = bottom).

Thanks!

silver7017

Green Slime
upon reloading the world, I can now make use of those phase plates, though I am certain the first time I booted after the initial crash I was unable to do so. thanks for the rapid response. I was dreading that this would be a hopelessly obscure issue and I'd have to dig around with a memory editor for decades to salvage my save, as is unhappily often what I must to in early access games.

fantastic game, by the way. =)